VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Re: Chevy Chevette Hottness!! (1AJeremy)

I can't recall how long it's even been since I've seen one still running. You'd think there'd be ONE.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Re: FV-QR (WOT)

No worse than any other short wheelbase vehicle. These actually aren't even *all* that short compared to a lot of the goofy stuff that's been done in years past, and still is.
They're 95.3" for the 2 doors and a 97.3" for the hatchback. Actually not all that bad.

I've been in quite a few sub 92" wheelbase cars. Austin A40's, Thames / Prefects and the like all fall in at 92".Hell, an Anglia falls in right at 90". Sure, they're a tick more squirrel y but with a proper chassis setup and not being a ham fisted goober they're quite livable.

And hell, tack an extra 3-5" on and that *does* make quite a difference. It's actually rather humorous how big of a difference even 5" in wheel base adjustment makes, or even a 7-10% adjustment in engine setback compared to wheel base. Physics is cool. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,643 Posts
Re: Chevy Chevette Hottness!! (Fe2O3)

Quote, originally posted by Fe2O3 »
I can't recall how long it's even been since I've seen one still running. You'd think there'd be ONE.

I would http://****************.com/smile/emlove.gif to get my hands on a clean Chevette diesel.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Gary C)

Quote, originally posted by Gary C »
No worse than any other short wheelbase vehicle. These actually aren't even *all* that short compared to a lot of the goofy stuff that's been done in years past, and still is.
They're 95.3" for the 2 doors and a 97.3" for the hatchback. Actually not all that bad.

I've been in quite a few sub 92" wheelbase cars. Austin A40's, Thames / Prefects and the like all fall in at 92".Hell, an Anglia falls in right at 90". Sure, they're a tick more squirrel y but with a proper chassis setup and not being a ham fisted goober they're quite livable.

And hell, tack an extra 3-5" on and that *does* make quite a difference. It's actually rather humorous how big of a difference even 5" in wheel base adjustment makes, or even a 7-10% adjustment in engine setback compared to wheel base. Physics is cool. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

good to know http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
what all does it take to build a V8 street chevette that is not too scary to drive? lots of mods required? rear axle, suspension, brakes, etc? tough swap? I like that they are rwd and you can still find them around here sometimes, but they seem like such cheap pieces of junk and are ugly to boot.
how do they stack up against something like a monza or pinto?

Modified by WOT at 2:05 AM 12-19-2009

26,006 Posts
Re: (Porridgehead)

I used my Chevette to deliver newpapers when I was 18-19. I have fond memories of that time, but none about that car. I did get laid in it a lot, mostly by this one GF who was (unexplainably) hung up on me, but once by a girl I barely knew. Of course she was drunk, and really needed a ride....and never so much as gave me the time of day afterwards.....

My car, like most examples, had many issues. I replaced multiple starters, alternators, and water pumps. The clutch exploded on me one night in the middle of my route and I had to speed shift all the way home (about 30 miles) while blowing every stopsign on the road. I ripped the differential support bushing out of it drag racing it against a Fiesta and nearly wrecked, and I got it stuck in the blizzard of '93 and couldn't get it out for a week.
The worst issue I had with the car though, was a simple one. It was one wire. That wire just happened to go to the ignition coil, which was mounted under the intake (or some equally inaccessable spot), and I couldn't find it. That one little wire would cause the car to randomly die wth no warning, and sometimes return to normal, and sometimes not start again for hours. To make matters worse, each occurrance was acompanied by a large backfire, due to all the unburnt fuel being pushed into the exhaust system, and after a period of time it opened the muffler up like an exploded beer can, and large flames would shoot out from under it, lighting up the darkness.. Once that happened the backfires got even louder, and it would do it any time you shut it down after running it hard. When I'd come off the interstate to get gas, I'd shut the car down as I entered the parking lot to let it do its thing, and cost up to the pump because I was afraid it was going to blow the place up.
Another result of that was that not only was the car totally unpredictable, it was also pretty damn loud. Neither is a trait you want in a newspaper delivery car you're driving primarily in the wee hours of the morning. My 400 or so customers hated me. My customers neighbors hated them, and me. Their animals loved me.

One cold dark winter night I was rolling through one of the nicer subdivisions on my route, and one of the few places where I had some actual density and made good money, and the car died. I costed to the next box, and plugged my ears as it went off like a cannon. Then I cranked it a couple of times and it fired back up. I considered myself in luck, and proceeded to the next box. The subdivision was sort of a figure 8 arrangment, and as I came back down the street whee it had died earlier, I felt it lose power again, and decided maybe I wasn't so lucky afterall. Once again it was in rare form, and sounded like a Fourth of July celebration had kicked off, and I got a nice fireball.
I was just about to hit the key when I looked up and saw a VERY large man standing in the street behind me wearing a bathrobe. Normally I would have found this extremely entertaining, but he was holding a pump shotgun. I was pretty sure he'd initially thought someone was shooting a gun in the neighborhood, and after the fireball would know that it was just the Chevette saying hello, but at 4am I wasn't really sure he'd be reasonable enough to let it pass without taking a couple of shots at me. I hit the key, and on the thrid crank it started and I hauled ass. Whew...close one you POS!
About a mile down the road it died again, and wouldn't start. I did my normal routine where I'd get out under the hood and mess with the various electrcical connections, never knowing exactly which one was causing the problem, and after a few tries it started. Then it did it again a few houses down, and then couple of miles later, and then in one of the most desolate unpopulated portions of my route, and it wouldn't start. I got under the hood and messed around, then got back in the car and sat for a few minutes. Then repeated the process. On the third try I had lost it. It was cold, I was tired, and I was a couple of miles away from even a house. I got out of the car and slammed the door, and as I did the driver's side windwo shattered and fell into the seat.

I cleaned the glass out of the seat, got back into the car, twisted the key, and the damn thing started. It went the rest of the night without dying again.
The one redeeming feature of this car was the heater. Mine would only blow out the defrost and feet openings, but it was like Satan himself was stoking the fires in there. It would burn the hair off your legs, probably due to the fact that it was on the verge of overheating the entire time it was running.
Due to this fact, I never fixed the window. I carried a trash bag around and used that when it was raining....sometimes.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Porridgehead »
Anything is better than a Chevette.

New Sig below

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: (justanotherusername)

Quote, originally posted by justanotherusername »

The one redeeming feature of this car was the heater.

you are on one hell of a roll.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

I got out of the car and slammed the door, and as I did the driver's side windwo shattered and fell into the seat.

I cleaned the glass out of the seat, got back into the car, twisted the key, and the damn thing started. It went the rest of the night without dying again.
Due to this fact, I never fixed the window. I carried a trash bag around and used that when it was raining....sometimes.

Damn, that is funny.
new sig.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Re: (ashi)

no matter what wheels are on it, how pimped it is or how good looking the paint job is, just remember that with all Chevettes, somebody, somewhere is tired of humpin' this damn POS.
Have enough discipline, for god's sake, to walk away and don't look back

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
How about a Brazilian Chevette

Was the U.S. Chevette based on the Opel Kadett? The Brazilian version is, so is it Euro-tyte?

26,006 Posts
Re: (Bazooka)

Thanks guys.

Just hope that if you ever have the misfortune to be stuck with a car this awful that you at least have some decent stories to tell about it once you're back on your feet.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

Cool stories bros -
no, seriously, some of the most entertaining crap I've read on here in a long time. thank you.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Re: (XxCoryDxX)

Quote, originally posted by XxCoryDxX »
Cool stories bros -
no, seriously, some of the most entertaining crap I've read on here in a long time. thank you.

ditto. I haven't had so much fun with reading a thread. Of all the cars, who would have thought the lowly Chevette would have the more drama per mile!
Or actually, wait, I guess it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Thanks guys.

Just hope that if you ever have the misfortune to be stuck with a car this awful that you at least have some decent stories to tell about it once you're back on your feet.

You are really a great storyteller. That car of yours gave more wackiness per mile than i thought was possible in 4 wheels!
Thanks for great writing.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts

At the Carcraft show in St. Paul this summer. Thing was sick.
Weren't these POS's made by Daewoo? And were they actually RWD? My mom had one when I was young. My dad was a bastard... first, he gets her a Pacer, then this, then a Cavalier (1990, back when they still sucked). She shoulda divorced him after he got the Chevette for her

All I remember was her complaining how friggin slow it was up a hill near our house. If us kids were in the car with her, she had to shut off the air conditioning or the damn pile of crap wouldn't make it up the hill

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: (Voodoo.T)

Quote, originally posted by Voodoo.T »

All I remember was her complaining how friggin slow it was up a hill near our house. If us kids were in the car with her, she had to shut off the air conditioning or the damn pile of crap wouldn't make it up the hill

Air condition.... well aren't we overprivileged!
Imma let you finish, but Swallow Doretti had one of the biggest piles of all time!
It was spelled S-C-O-O-T-E-R, as in what the dog does across the carpet when his anal sac is inflamed. And let me state here for all to read: impacted anal sacs are far more desirable than a Chevette Scooter.
I'll let Swallow describe the excrescence known as the Scooter, because it was his private hell, not mine. My Chevette didn't have A/C either, but it was saddled with an automatic that sucked whatever life that agricultural engine had in it. Frankly, I've seen ditch pumps that were more willing and had a better exhaust note. My Chevette did not accelerate, it sulked. Its performance was best described as reluctantly sullen. It was like asking a 17 year old emo to join in family caroling around the fire only without the fun and a lot more eye rolling.
As for comfort, well, put it this way: I once slept in a goodwill box rather than my Chevette. Comfort wasn't even the reason; I simply stood more risk of getting a nasty infection or head lice from that damn car. I swear they sprayed the car with ptomaine and tetanus before it left the factory.
Air conditioning... talk about big pimping and not even knowing. If only I had it so good.

26,006 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Porridgehead »

Air condition.... well aren't we overprivileged!
Air conditioning... talk about big pimping and not even knowing. If only I had it so good.

It wasn't all that. You practically had to pull over to use it because it robbed what little poiwer the POS had to begin with.

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: (Lightnin')

Whenever anyone starts complaining about how bad things are with cars today, just flash that cover of CandD at them as a reminder of just how AWFUL things could be. The 1970s and cars....ugh.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by g-man_ae »

Call me crazy, but that's a very effective ad to me. The "cutaway" view showing the family + luggage is just what 'mericuns need to see to stop thinking "bigger is better."

It's just lucky for that family they have 3 pcs of luggage that get progressively taller to fit in the hatch!

41 - 60 of 111 Posts