VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is driving me insane yet I know it's one of those things that I know the dealer will try and weasel out of so I want to be as prepared as possible when I go in.
When I hit certain bumps in the road (not huge and not small), I get a quick "ching" noise from the front of the car like a bunch of pennies being dropped into a jar or something. It sounds like it's doing it on both sides of the car. I have never heard something like this before.
I am also noticing that when going over speed bumps, the air/gas in my front suspension is very loud when compressing and decompressing compared to the rear which is trange to me for a car with a hair over 10K. Not sure if they're related, but it really isn't fun listening to all this while cruising with the windows down.
Any ideas? Am I the only one who has this?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: "Ching" from front suspension on road bumps (V_Dub_20th)

TTT- I have this problem too.......only certain bumps, nothing seems loose.
help.

-jb

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: "Ching" from front suspension on road bumps (jabber)

I have a whole jar o' change in my front end...more often i hear it on brick type roads, but i get the gas noise over speed bumps also...is anyone else running aftermarket spings...i have sportlines with stock struts.

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (piotrek)

OK good, I'm not going crazy. Hopefully someone has come across the fix for it least identified where it's coming from...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re: "Ching" from front suspension on road bumps (Karma)

Maybe it's because your car can turn on a dime and give you $.09 change! Sorry...couldn't resist.

I have not heard this yet...8,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have the same noise. but it sounds moer like something is loose or some kinda rattle. The noise from the shocks when goig over speed bumps is normal.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Whoops--sorry bout that... Anyways, that cheap "sounds like someone is droppin a washer down a carriage bolt" noise or "sounds like a nail being dropped on the ground" is actually your brakes!!! After about 8k miles on my 2002 jetta glx I began to hear this noise when I would hit a bump going any faster than 10mph. I explained it to the dealer and they all laughed. It was one of those selective noises at times until I figured out why I wasnt hearing it all the time. I noticed that when I would break and hit a hole or bump--no noise... Do the same routine over the same hole/bump with no brakes--noise!!! I then took it back to the dealer and 2 techs drove it as well as the manager. The consensus WAS the brakes. In fact, as the car racks up the miles and the rotors lose some mass, your calipers begin to have more room to move a little and in particular--hop on the rotor. They decided to put some thick grease/fluid on the bolts for the calipers and told me that it would solve the problem for about 3k miles. The dealer told me to get used to it fast as it is normal.
Good luck, i know what your goin through. I couldnt take it anymore. It forced me to do a serious brake upgrade. Noise free ever since.

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: "Ching" from front suspension on road bumps (jsonc78)

But it makes no sense that it would happen on some cars and not all if that's the cause. Since the 20AE also has completely different brake components than other MKIVs it seems a bit strange.
It makes the car sound cheap and flimsy and "dealing with it" isn't an acceptable answer for a new car. If this is really the case, I'd want the dealer to do whatever he has to in order to make it sound like the unaffected cars here. That's fair, no?
Thanks for the response, it's definitely a start. Wondering if there are others who had this problem with the brakes?

·
Registered
97 Posts

AS THE POST ABOVE STATED I ATTEMPTED TO FIX THIS TODAY WITH GOOD RESULTS.
okay ......I FIXED this problem. it is the brakes. As the rotors wear down there is a little more play in the whole system.
1) buy caliper grease.( I got mine at advanced auto parts)
2) Jack up car and support on jackstands.
3) Detatch calipers from caliper holders.
4) smear/brush grease on caliper bolts, bolt entry holes and the
back side of brake pads.(remove brake pads to do this. I also greased the pistons that actuate the pads.
5) reassembly all parts. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET ANY GREASE
ON FRICTION SURFACES.
6) Go hunting for bumps and see if it worked.
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW THIS UP. BE
CAREFUL AND TIGHTEN ALL BOLTS BACK TO TQ. SPECS.

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for the info, that's awesome. Were these 20AE/TT calipers or standard brakes?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the brake rattle problem back when some VW techs tried to fix the infamous squeak & moan.
Here was my solution: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1352099
Now, I have the problem listed in this post with "ching" the noise on the fronts along with the gas sound from the suspension. I've heard the suspension noise from day one, but I'm just starting to hear the noise from the front. My original problem was in the rear, but this was fixed via the above post (VW tech error).
Only thing that makes sense to me is:
A) I live in the city where the roads suck. More bumps in the road = more shaking everywhere = more noises throughout the whole car.
B) All that shaking made the grease wear away from the pads/calipers. Applying more would be a temporary fix, but the calipers should self adjust when the pads wear... shouldn't they?

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote, originally posted by jabber »
AS THE POST ABOVE STATED I ATTEMPTED TO FIX THIS TODAY WITH GOOD RESULTS.
okay ......I FIXED this problem. it is the brakes. As the rotors wear down there is a little more play in the whole system.
1) buy caliper grease.( I got mine at advanced auto parts)
2) Jack up car and support on jackstands.
3) Detatch calipers from caliper holders.
4) smear/brush grease on caliper bolts, bolt entry holes and the
back side of brake pads.(remove brake pads to do this. I also greased the pistons that actuate the pads.
5) reassembly all parts. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET ANY GREASE
ON FRICTION SURFACES.
6) Go hunting for bumps and see if it worked.
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW THIS UP. BE
CAREFUL AND TIGHTEN ALL BOLTS BACK TO TQ. SPECS.

I had the dealer do this a couple weeks back and haven't heard the noise once. Strange that the calipers have so much play that they make that noise after the pad wears down, but that was definitely it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts