VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I am very disappointed as I found when I wanted to install my chip that the ECU has the standard chip soldered on it. Its really strange as my car is a 96 late spec OBD2 and I shouldve been able to just replace it, now I'm stuck with a chip and I can't use it. This is really upsetting and I'm not sure what to do now.
Please help guys.

Thanks a mil

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Yeah you have an early ECU.. do a search.. im sure its been covered.. but you may have to buy a second ECU..

JT

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
If you are comfortable doing it, you can use a circuit board soldering kit to remove the stock chip and put a socket in it's place.

·
Registered
758 Posts
That's why you do your homework on time and search. You would've saved yourself the "upsetting".

P.S. Misleading title is misleading.
Gonna sit you down and give your good lecturing, don't do it again. /s

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
If you are comfortable doing it, you can use a circuit board soldering kit to remove the stock chip and put a socket in it's place.
Yep, it's not hard with a good soldering iron and plenty of solder wick to remove the old solder, and a 8x loop or tasco hand-held microscope to check your work when you are done. Just don't burn the board traces and don't jump anything that shouldn't be closed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.