VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.0L 16V, pretty much stock except for K&N and Header, no cat, and 2.25 TT exhaust, and I have an Autotech Chip ready to put in the car (came with the car, just wasn't installed). The car has motronic.
I have been doing a lot of reading on this, and I have heard different stories. Some say that the Autotech works great on a 1.8 16V, and to use Garrett for the 2.0L 16V (motronic). Others say that Autotech makes a good chip regardless.
I know that opinions on chips are across the spectrum, but I wanted to get some ideas from people that know how the "Seat of the Pants" feel is for any of the top three chips: TT, Garrett, or Autotech.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: Chip Questions (beetlevdubn)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I have been doing a lot of reading on this, and I have heard different stories. Some say that the Autotech works great on a 1.8 16V, and to use Garrett for the 2.0L 16V (motronic). [HR][/HR]​
You can't chip a 1.8 (CIS-E)-- maybe you mean the Autotech Power Module?...
Everybody seems to be in love with the Garrett chip, but if I had the Autotech Q-chip, I'd install it and be happy. Honestly- on a naturally aspirated car, you aren't going to see huge differences between any of the generic aftermarket chip offerings. If you are running big cams, GIAC offers a chip with a higher idle to help with the "lope"..
Right now, I've got both a TT and a GIAC (race program) chip- After the holidays, I'm planning on a little tuning session on Techtonics' dyno. Collin has promised a custom chip burned for my engine, based off the TT program- also hoping to get baseline numbers from the GIAC at the same time...
I will post the charts.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Chip Questions (BFDeihl)

quote:[HR][/HR]
You can't chip a 1.8 (CIS-E)-- maybe you mean the Autotech Power Module?...
[HR][/HR]​
Oops, you are correct, I misstated that in my original post.
What would you say is an honest hp figure that any of these chips are capable of adding? I have heard anywhere from 8 to 12 hp, which sounds optimistic.
Can't wait to see the charts when you get them.
Thanks,

·
Banned
7,426 Posts
Re: Chip Questions (beetlevdubn)

I don't think a chip alone will ever show any gains at the wheels on dyno (turbo cars excluded) At best its just minor mapping tweaks, removed top speed govenor, and increased rev limiter. Depending on the chip drivability can be improved across the board. I'd drive the car with the stock chip in it for a couple months Dean, then change the chip out and see if you like the differences enough to keep running it or desire something programmed differently. I had two or three chips in my 91 2.0L and honestly I thought the Neuspeed one was the best - go figure. (out of Neuspeed, Garrett, and TT)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: Chip Questions (GTX 16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]BFDeihl, just curious, have you actually driven your car with both chips? Can you feel any difference at all? [HR][/HR]​
Short answer- No.
Just got the GIAC a couple weeks ago. It is the one that Garrett sells for use with the 268 or bigger cams (I've got 268/276). It features a 1020 rpm idle.
I haven't swapped the GIAC in yet, as I have to get the truck through emissions testing this month- currently, I'm running the TT chip in conjunction with a Euro intake cam.
Once I pass smog testing, I can go ahead and swap in the GIAC and the big cams.
It is that combo that I'll have Collin baseline, and see what he can do in the way of hp improvements from there. I also have an adjustable cam pulley, and plan on doing a few runs with different settings. (I'll start at the 3 degrees advanced setting, as Jeff Moss suggested from their dyno work with a similar engine- CCH head, 50mm intake, etc...).
It's been a long time coming- but it's looking like it won't be long now.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Re: Chip Questions (BFDeihl)

Cool. So with 50mm intakes do they suggest a cam gear with 3 degrees advance? That is if your brave enough to use an adjustable cam gear
Or is the 3 degrees advance for the other stuff?
just wondering cus I'm getting a 50mm intake too..
TIA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts