VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: Chip Questions (beetlevdubn)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I have been doing a lot of reading on this, and I have heard different stories. Some say that the Autotech works great on a 1.8 16V, and to use Garrett for the 2.0L 16V (motronic). [HR][/HR]​
You can't chip a 1.8 (CIS-E)-- maybe you mean the Autotech Power Module?...
Everybody seems to be in love with the Garrett chip, but if I had the Autotech Q-chip, I'd install it and be happy. Honestly- on a naturally aspirated car, you aren't going to see huge differences between any of the generic aftermarket chip offerings. If you are running big cams, GIAC offers a chip with a higher idle to help with the "lope"..
Right now, I've got both a TT and a GIAC (race program) chip- After the holidays, I'm planning on a little tuning session on Techtonics' dyno. Collin has promised a custom chip burned for my engine, based off the TT program- also hoping to get baseline numbers from the GIAC at the same time...
I will post the charts.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: Chip Questions (GTX 16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]BFDeihl, just curious, have you actually driven your car with both chips? Can you feel any difference at all? [HR][/HR]​
Short answer- No.
Just got the GIAC a couple weeks ago. It is the one that Garrett sells for use with the 268 or bigger cams (I've got 268/276). It features a 1020 rpm idle.
I haven't swapped the GIAC in yet, as I have to get the truck through emissions testing this month- currently, I'm running the TT chip in conjunction with a Euro intake cam.
Once I pass smog testing, I can go ahead and swap in the GIAC and the big cams.
It is that combo that I'll have Collin baseline, and see what he can do in the way of hp improvements from there. I also have an adjustable cam pulley, and plan on doing a few runs with different settings. (I'll start at the 3 degrees advanced setting, as Jeff Moss suggested from their dyno work with a similar engine- CCH head, 50mm intake, etc...).
It's been a long time coming- but it's looking like it won't be long now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts