VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing everyone talk about buying new chips for their dubs. I know of one type that you buy, generally after you've completed all of your mods (right, like that'll ever happen!) and then you need someone to hook it up to a computer and program it for you while its on your car to optimize performance. Is this the kind that everyone is talking about? Or is there a factory ready solder on style chip that will increase performance? just a little confused
thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: "chip?" (VEEDubyaJettaIII)

majority just optimize certain things like fuel air mix, etc to give a few extra poneis, most just snap, soilder, or send a way to be attached.
Chris

·
Registered
357 Posts

You ecu should have a socket so you can just buy a chip take the old one out and pop in the new one. There are alot of people that make them i have a ttchip saved money on it when i bought tt exhaust. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: "chip?" (Chrismilli)

thanks for the quick reply!
that's pretty much what I figured. anybody have suggestions for what a good brand would be to put on my 97 jetta 2.slo 8v?

·
Registered
8,293 Posts

garrett, or GIAC as its commonly called http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
6,535 Posts

ya you are alot confused lol
a chip goes into the ecu...most of them are straight pop in meaning it just goes on..some of them you do solder.......one of the very first mods you should do is get a chip...chips costs from 70-150
you can get them from
GIAC
autotech
techtonics
ams
neuspeed
the chip is reprogramable for camshaft and fuel management...so you can always upgrade it anytime....
you should be less confused now.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Re: "chip?" (Chrismilli)

There are tons of chips out there that you can buy and most chips just work with whatever mods you have and the more mods the merrier the HP... Some are especially designed to work with cams and stuff. Garret(GIAC) is one of the only reprogrammable E-Proms I know of and most of the guys on the forum get chips way before they're done modding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: "chip?" (Scubastevie00)

alright, so once I pop it on then how much work/cost is to get a mechanic to set everything up? and then each time I do new mods, is it really expensive to keep reprogramming it?

·
Banned
6,535 Posts

there is no setting or programming ..nothing like that..you put it in and thats it..you drive..the only time you can reprogram it....is when you get a camshaft THATS IT!!!
or if you get fuel injector upgrades...but you dont have to worry about that...get the chip in the car first ahahah

·
Registered
44 Posts

I am very happy with my Autotech, my friend has a Neuspeed that he likes a lot. The GIAC is also very popular.
As far as where on your list of mods you should put one in, whenever you want, that was the first thing I did to my car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: "chip?" (STEALTHDEMONDUB)

Much clearer now...
one more question... what does it mean ECU 259 and all that? what kind do I want?
BTW, sorry!! I promise that this'll be it!!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

Open up your raintray and check the last 3 numbers on your ECU... that is what the 259 means... you might have a letter after it... Your car is also OBD-II sooo therefore most chips that are OBD-II will work... I'd check the classifieds before paying full price though... Look for something that matches your ECU #.. If ya cant wait call up a company such as Neuspeed, autothority, Autotech, Techtonics, GIAC(Garret) and I think thats pretty much it. I have autothority and love it.... Hope all this helps!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts