VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the benefits of chipping, what is the downside? Is reliability, engine-drivetrain longevity affected?
Not a racer, just would like the extra power entering traffic and increased mileage.
Thanks.
Chad

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Re: Chipped Longevity (saladshooter)

quote:[HR][/HR] ....Not a racer, just would like the extra power entering traffic and increased mileage.......[HR][/HR]​
Then just do it and forget about all your concerns
Which chip are you thinking of?

·
Registered
15,242 Posts
Re: Chipped Longevity (TexasVWdriver)

quote:[HR][/HR]2 days of upsoluted driving and needed a new ECU

Blame the UP Rep, not the UP chip.[HR][/HR]​
Why not? The first time I ever experience the up chip my ECU blows. If I had experienced it 10 times and only 1 blew ofcourse I would sing a different tune. But I didn't

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sorry for being such a newb
, This is my first VW, and not up on the VW chipping process. You need a chip "Rep" to install it? I have seen that chips are in the range of $380, does that include installation by a "Rep"?
Thanks
Chad

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Re: Chipped Longevity (saladshooter)

salashooter: it depends on the vendor i guess, i paid around 300 installed, the guy came to my house.. sweet deal... i would suggest Upsolute but to each his own... good luck with whoever you decide to go with.. also try Fred's site, lots of info.. http://www.tdiclub.com later

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Re: Chipped Longevity (UNBANNED_GERBIL)

quote:[HR][/HR]2 days of upsoluted driving and needed a new ECU

Blame the UP Rep, not the UP chip.
Why not? The first time I ever experience the up chip my ECU blows. If I had experienced it 10 times and only 1 blew ofcourse I would sing a different tune. But I didn't[HR][/HR]​
Because the UP rep installed it, and obviously botched the job. The chip has to be soldered in place. And it only takes a slight mistake to ruin the ECU.
The chip can't harm the motherboard. But less than perfect soldering can.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I had mine remapped, i don't think there was any messing about with soldering irons.
Still works great according to the new owner of the car, 40000 + Km
.Net

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Re: Chipped Longevity (DotNet)

Van Aaken box = no soldering and sweet power upgrade. Not as good power as Updolute, but less chance for problems..... It is all just a toss up. Different strokes for different folks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts