VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May brakes are making a chirpping noise (sounds like a bird is in there)
My pads are fine, and when stopping at high speeds i dont feel any vibration so i dont think my rotors are warped. There is also no difference when stopping now compared to previously when there wasnt any noise.
Ive sprayed brake cleaner on the rotors and this did not help at all.
So, i have no idea what might be going on.
Ive had an auto shop loook at it, and they said the brakes were fine as far as performance. But then again, they also got the entire interior of my car filthy, and forgot to put my engine cover back on. So i dont know how trustworty they are.
Anything would be helpful, thanks

· Registered
8,388 Posts
Re: Chirpping Brakes - Need some advice (silvermouse5150)

its just the pads moving around...which sounds dangerous at first but is competely fine. try blasting your brakes out w/ a garden hose often. also you can try all those brake squeel stop things. but in the end you might not even cure it so dont worry too much about it at all....just an annoying noise is all.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Re: Chirpping Brakes - Need some advice (Banditt007)

You could sand down the rotors and pads. The Firestone garages actually sell this service to customers as a "front brake service". Glazing builds up on the pads and rotors and the sanding simply removes this glazing. Make sure that you have the proper shims, sometimes these get worn or are missing. Lube the sliders with sil glide or ez slide slider lube. Use silver anti-seize on the part where the brake pad slides on the caliper housing. If that doesn't work try switching brake pad brands.

· Registered
24 Posts
Re: Chirpping Brakes - Need some advice (silvermouse5150)

Quote, originally posted by silvermouse5150 »
May brakes are making a chirpping noise (sounds like a bird is in there)

Under what conditions do your brakes make this chirping sound? What do you have to do to make the noise? Are you talking about the "bank teller window squeal" where the brakes squeak under light pedal pressure, just before you come to a complete stop? Or is this something else? When you say "chirp" I think of a short duration noise, vs a squeal which may last for several seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.