VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so on my 2.0 8v I am looking to get a catback system, I wanna keep the noise down SOMEWHAT, I don't wanna be screaming down the road like a 68 El Torino with a rusted out muffler, I wanna sound like a freakin' Euro, what would be my best bet to not sound ridiculous without a resonator... a 430 cfm muffler, a 850, or a 1100 cfm? 430 being the Dynomax Super Turbo, followed by a Borla, then the Ultra Flo muffler from Dynomax. Any other suggestions are welcome but I haven't been a HUGE fan of the Magnaflo's I've heard...

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Re: Choosing a Muffler for Catback (Thrasher)

From experience and going through several exhaust systems I have found that dynomax is the best bang for your buck. It is quiet and when you wanna it to be, then open her up it make produces a nice sound. Also dynomax is one of the highest flowing companies in the market.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Choosing a Muffler for Catback (NastyJettaNza)

Quote, originally posted by NastyJettaNza »
From experience and going through several exhaust systems I have found that dynomax is the best bang for your buck. It is quiet and when you wanna it to be, then open her up it make produces a nice sound. Also dynomax is one of the highest flowing companies in the market.

So you'd say go with the highest flowing dynomax?

·
Banned
2,404 Posts

I think your best bet is to get a stock exhaust from a VR6. Sound is a lot less chainsaw'ish and its cheaper too. Try German Auto for that. I had a Magnaflow on my car and it was so obnoxious. Ask j.connor, he had a TT system and it sounded just as bad.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts

You can if you want; if not I have a Honda style bullet resonator with a Ultra flow and I am so happy with it. I get good power it is not loud and when I want it to grunt it will. It is all about getting the right sizing for your car and figuring out what kinda of sound you want, And my my car does not produce a tinny sound it is actually a nice deep sound for 4cyl. Good luck man. But like I said before dynomax is the definitely by far the best bang for your buck.

Modified by NastyJettaNza at 10:04 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
13,402 Posts

Oh yeah dynomax is owned by walker exhaust company basically they supply all the oe aftermarket replacemnts for all companies in some cases they are the exhaust company for companies. They have a lot of money backing there programs. TT uses dynomax and they sound good and I think are the most recommended exhasut for VW's IMO. But if you get the dynomax muffler seperate and have and exhaust shop weld you up a nice system you definitley save a few bucks.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts

J. Connor had the TT exhaust with flowmaster muffler on his 2.0 and it sounded good for a 2.0, and wasn't too loud.
I have a 1.8 8v with tt exhaust with flowmaster muffler and I love the way it sounds.
I also knew somone with a 2.0 with a eurosport exhaust and that sounds good as well.

·
Registered
11,846 Posts

If your interested I can snag you a GHL muffler for $225. Ultra high quality muffler and if you go custom the rest of the way will save you a few bucks.
I also have a MKIII magnaflow system I am trying to get $350 shipped for. Since your local I can work out a special price for you. Its new in box.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's mainly a matter of funds, we'll see how much the piping is. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Re: (Thrasher)

stainless steel BORLA muffler = sex (imo) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: (2ptslo)

TT Cat Back, with Borla or Dynomax. Not gonna get much better than that, if it even does get better.
And neither one of those sound ricey, or uber loud either if you make sure you get the system with the resonator also.
Those that have heard my car can probably testify that it sounds decent, yet not crazy loud by any means.

·
Banned
773 Posts

Quote, originally posted by NastyJettaNza »
I have a Honda style bullet resonator with a Ultra flow and I am so happy with it. I get good power it is not loud and when I want it to grunt it will.

Nevermind the fact that it looks retarded.... Fart Can Hooooooo!!!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

i have a 2.25 stainless tt with borla. sounds pretty good. nice and deep, makes the 2.0 sound like it has balls.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm thinking about going with the custom cat back, but doing a lesser flowing muffler. Maybe a Borla instead of the super high flowing Dynomax.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

unless you are going really crazy on modding the cylinder head, i don't think you will notice much different in performance with the different flowing mufflers. just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The mufflers are for sound, not performance. The piping will give me the performance leaway that I need. I would do a VR Swap but saving that much money is hard, I'm just trying to get something with a little pep, a nice comfy daily driver.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts

If you want most of the VR exhaust, I could sell you mine. I just went with a magnaflow/cut out suitcase setup and am pretty happy with it. You may need some piping to make it work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts