VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local VW serivce center thought they'd be tricky and replaced my antenna with a new one (they forgot to take the sticker off). When I went to wash the car, the antenna didn't come off and when it did, the screw part stayed on the base and the antenna part came off of the screw part. They don't want to replace it, and they want me to pay $45 for it. I'm not going back there anymore. They broke it they should fix it, and if they won't, they just lost business on 2 VWs that we have (no more money from overpriced maintance, oil changes, etc for them).
Anyways...
I've been looking at the aftermarket antennas available and just wanted to know what you people thought of them. 2.5" or 3.5" or the "Mini V" (which is about 2.1") or 5.75", thick, thin, black... My GTI is black so a black black probably looks better too right?
Thanks fellas

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: Choosing an Antenna (DAVID1.8T)

I too was considering a shorty antenna, until I got bored and hacked about 10" off the stock one with some wire cutters. The inside is white fiberglass, so I darkened it with a black sharpie. I still did not like the unfinished tip, so I found a black presta valve cap (used on road bicycle tubes) in my junk drawer. I super glued it over the cut tip, and it looks great, just like OEM. I lost just a little reception on both AM and FM, but nothing serious.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Re: Choosing an Antenna (csr67)

$45!!!!!! that's crazy. for a stupid whip antenna??? come on.
go to the hummer dealership and order an antenna from the H2. It's a perfect fit at the base and it's plenty short. You can also get a Honda Antenna - form the S2000 or the Element. Smae thing, but the base is a little thicker so some people think it looks odd. I have the S2000 one and I thionk it looks fine.
At any rate, it cost me $19.95 and the H2 one is similarily priced.
this is the S2000/Element one. not the best pic, but I think it looks pretty darn good and the quality of it fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Choosing an Antenna (gravitymachine)

Do you need to change the screw down part at all for the S2000? Does it fit right on without any issues?
Is the reception decent? (I'm in the city anyway).

Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (CANNIBALOFDOOM)

They have a lot of them for cheap on eBay. That is where I started to look. Buy it now prices are around $10 (+ shipping).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts