VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is for anyone running Synthetic in their 24v vr6.....
What brands have you noticed to have the best results? i.e. castrol, penns oil, royal purple, mobile???
Secondly, what mixture seems to work the best for someone who drives hard??? i.e 10w 30, or 5w 30...etc

Please tell if any noticeable changes happened with new oils...like sound reduction, vibration reduction, so on... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
935 Posts
Re: Choosing an oil!??? (20GTIVR603)

As I've posted many times before in this forum, if you want the best synthetic for your 24v.. try Amsoil. It's only a little more than what you'll find normal synthetic going for and it's noticeably better. Best place to get it would be from their website.

· Registered
728 Posts
Re: Choosing an oil!??? (blankster83)

Quote, originally posted by blankster83 »
As I've posted many times before in this forum, if you want the best synthetic for your 24v.. try Amsoil. It's only a little more than what you'll find normal synthetic going for and it's noticeably better. Best place to get it would be from their website.

x2

· Registered
615 Posts
Re: (blankster83)

"wrong", I love it
...all this bad info about high dollar synthetic is just that, bad info....
again...just run mobil 1 and be done with it....spend your money on other things that make a difference...

· Registered
191 Posts
Re: (laxsex)

I changed my oil about 600 miles ago, went from 5w40 Castrol which is what they put in at the dealerhip to 0w40 Mobil 1. Takes a bit longer to fully warm up but it's smooth once it's there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,517 Posts
Re: (laxsex)

Quote, originally posted by laxsex »
Has it been confirmed that Mobil 1 is no longer a group IV oil? If I'm going to pay 40 bucks for 6 quarts of oil, I want it to be a true synthetic oil.

Not sure of the answer, but there were a couple threads about it over on BITOG (www.bobistheoilguy.com). I believe the general concensus was that it is no longer a Group IV oil.
I have used Castrol Syntec 5w40 in my car and it worked fine. I now run Motul 300V Racing 5w40 during the HPDE season and Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40 during the "off" season. The 300V is a double ester and has no "dino" oil in it - it's all vegetable oil, coconut oil and alcohols (you should smell the stuff, you want to drink it). The 8100 Xcess is a true 100% synthetic and works quite well in my car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
935 Posts
Re: (collins_tc)

Quote, originally posted by collins_tc »

Not sure of the answer, but there were a couple threads about it over on BITOG (www.bobistheoilguy.com). I believe the general concensus was that it is no longer a Group IV oil.
I have used Castrol Syntec 5w40 in my car and it worked fine. I now run Motul 300V Racing 5w40 during the HPDE season and Motul 8100 Xcess 5w40 during the "off" season. The 300V is a double ester and has no "dino" oil in it - it's all vegetable oil, coconut oil and alcohols (you should smell the stuff, you want to drink it). The 8100 Xcess is a true 100% synthetic and works quite well in my car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

good info! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
With just a little research on that site, I was able to find....
Quote, originally posted by Gene K on bobistheoilguy.com »

1."Some" Mobil 1 "may" contain "some" Group III. Mobil's refusal to state anything past PAO "based" and some indepth oil analysis by one member seems to suggest that some formulations may contain Group III.
2. Mobil had a claim GIII wasnt real synthetic up on their website at the same time the "suspect" oil was produced yet labeled the oil "full synthetic".
I dont know that I am convinced that if it contains GIII it is any worse than the GIV/GV Formula. It still has the higher iron signature. I have always suspected this is not caused by wear but the unique Mobil 1 Add Pkg.

still interested in Mobile 1?

· Registered
788 Posts

I have run both Mobil1 0w40 and Castrol 5w-40 w/ no problems. My next change will be with Amsoil since I now have a friend who can get it at cost!

BTW, just curious, does anyone make a conventional 5w-40? I've never seen it, only 10w-40...

· Registered
615 Posts

Where do get off thinking I'm knocking after Amsoil?

the original poster just wanted some answers...didn't mean to get you all fired up
and never meant to convince you of anything...you can go ahead and knock Mobil 1 till the cows come home, but it's great oil for this engine...as for amsoil, i'm aware it's a quality synthetic...(who wouldn't?
) go ahead and use it in your car, but don't steer some guy the wrong way by advocating generally accepted quality like Mobil One won't do in the 24v VR6...

· Registered
935 Posts
Re: (pford)

Quote, originally posted by pford »
don't steer some guy the wrong way by advocating generally accepted quality like Mobil One won't do in the 24v VR6...

The original poster asked for opinions on what would be the best oil for our engine.
Quote, originally posted by 20GTIVR603 »
My question is for anyone running Synthetic in their 24v vr6.....
What brands have you noticed to have the best results? i.e. castrol, penns oil, royal purple, mobile???

Don't cry a river when I tell you that your choice of synthetic oil isn't the best oil for this engine. For only like $5 more per oil change, you can be using a better quality synthetic. As for you believing that Mobil 1 is a great oil for this engine.. what lead you to believe that. I've done research proving that it's not everything they say it is, and you're still saying I'm steering people in the wrong direction... How 'bout you produce some evidence that support your claims.

Modified by blankster83 at 3:44 AM 12-1-2006

· Registered
5,517 Posts

All I will say on Mobil1 is to do some research at the BITOG site and see what the analysis reports are from people either with VWs or those using that particular weight of oil. Compare this to Castrol Syntec 5w40 which is a comparable price.
Then compare these oils with Amsoil, RedLine, PentoSynth, LubroMoly and any in the Motul line.
Again, read the reports and make your own decisions. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
MY PERSONAL OPINION:
I used to swear by Mobil1 in my 1994 Jetta 2.0. It was always a fantastic oil and was worth the price. When I bought the 2003 Jetta GLI, for some random reason, I started using Castrol Syntec (I actually think it might have been because my local PepBoys was out of the M1 in 5w40). For three oil changes, the car seemed to like it. Then I started reading about Motul and their different lines of oils. I started using the 300V race-spec oil because after reading about what it is and what it does, the extra money seemed to be worth it during the summer when doing track days. Added insurance in the engine! And at this point, I coincidentally landed a small sponsorship deal with them. So now during the "off season", I use their 8100 Xcess 5w40. This is because I don't need the added protection of the 300V during the winter and the 8100 Xcess gives me better fuel economy. It's a win/win all year round for me.
THAT SAID, I would recommend Castrol Syntec because I've used it and from personal experience, it was a good oil for our cars. I also know people who have always had nothing but good things to say about other oils, but I haven't personally used any of them.

· Registered
615 Posts

Nobodys crying over oil, and never said it was the best..
Qualitative research?? so for a few bucks, you've proven what??? That you like Amsoil more than Mobil 1...great! I look forward to your imminent Nobel Prize in Chemistry...
really don't need to/have to/want to get into evidence about Mobil 1's ability to lubricate the VR6..
5 bucks is five bucks, so if you feel the extra cost is worth it...fine...
I'll save the research funds for the engine overhaul when it explodes due to that crappy Mobil 1 I'm running:mad:
QUOTE=blankster83]
Don't cry a river when I tell you that your choice of synthetic oil isn't the best oil for this engine. For only like $5 more per oil change, you can be using a better quality synthetic. As for you believing that Mobil 1 is a great oil for this engine.. what lead you to believe that. I've done research proving that it's not everything they say it is, and you're still saying I'm steering people in the wrong direction... How 'bout you produce some evidence that support your claims.

Modified by blankster83 at 3:44 AM 12-1-2006[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.