VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire installation

I am thinking about replacing my tires with Goodyears, and, if I do, I want to be able to supervise. There was a lot of info on this subject a while back, but I can't find it.
Specifically- after placing the car in 'jack up' mode and removing old tire, I seem to recall something about a special wax to use when re-installing the wheel. Also wheel bolt torque.
Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Re: Tire installation (Jack Orr)

Hello Jack:
Torque values are listed here in this thread: How to change a flat tire on a Phaeton, along with quite a few pictures that provide useful information about tire changing.
A couple of tips, if you plan to change a tire yourself:
1) When installing the replacement tire, just snug up the bolts while the car is on the jack (semi-tight, but not with enough force to risk disturbing the car resting on the jack), then do the final torquing once you have lowered the car and the wheel is resting on the ground. You are probably already aware of the tip about getting the original wheel off: Crack the 5 bolts loose before you jack the car up, to avoid the risk of knocking the vehicle off the jack once it has been lifted up.
2) No matter how careful you are about putting the car into "jacking-up-mode", it will still probably throw a tantrum like a 5 year old when you first start it up after changing the tire - with all sorts of messages like "Car too Low!", "Suspension Fault - Workshop!", and one of the four wheels (not necessarily the one you changed) appearing to be very, very low. Don't worry about this. After you start the car and read all the complaints, just push the "ride height" button, twist the dial to lift the car to the highest setting, and confirm this. Let the car lift up, this takes about 20 seconds. Now push the ride height button again, twist the dial in the opposite direction (back to normal ride height), confirm it, land et the car go back to normal. After you do this little exercise, all will be well again.
Michael

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Tire installation (PanEuropean)

As is usual with this group- and, particularly Michael, thanks a million!!!!!!!!!
I guess the lithium grease would be easiest to come by.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

Hi Jack,
Good luck with the new Goodyears. Which ones are you putting on? Be sure to let us know how they work out. It's always fun to put on new shoes.
I'll be looking into this next year. I still run the M/S OEMs in the winter. I know I should get snow tires but we just don't get that much snow anymore here in Kansas City. If we do get snow, that's what the T-reg for.

Regards,
Brent

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Re: Tire installation (W126C)

I have just purchased a set of 5 Yokohama Advan Sport tires (255/45 ZR18, 103Y load rating). I am very happy with these tires, they are extremely quiet on the road, and very grippy. The treadwear rating is a bit lower than most tires (180), but I don't drive aggressively so I am not too worried about this.
These tires are standard fitment on the Bentley Continental GT sold in Europe - so, they are more than suitable for the Phaeton. I got them from Tire Rack.
Michael

·
Registered
265 Posts

I'm thrilled with my purchase of Nexen N3000's 11000 miles ago. So far, no detectable tire wear, quieter than the Michelin's, and they are cheap!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Re: Tire installation (sethdallob)

Quote, originally posted by sethdallob »
I'm thrilled with my purchase of Nexen N3000's 11000 miles ago. So far, no detectable tire wear, quieter than the Michelin's, and they are cheap!

Seth,
Where did you get them? eBay?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Tire installation (W126C)

Brent, I 'm gonna use the Goodyear F1-GS-D3. They test extremely well, seem to be quiet, and have excellent grip. Haven't been happy at all with the Michelin that came with the car, except they are quiet. All other parameters are average at best.

·
Registered
666 Posts

Jack,
I had the Fi-GS- D3's. They were great for about 15K, then they got very noisy and grip fell off as well. They do have great spec's, but I went back to the Michelins last month.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Tire installation (pirateat50)

Quote, originally posted by pirateat50 »
I went back to the Michelins last month.

One of my OEM Michelins failed... it developed a hump and within a few hours the car became undrivable due to shake. So I have a ruined wheel in the trunk.
I am not sure I am ready to buy five new tires, b/c the Michelins are still holding very well, so I thought I would buy just one. But the Michelin website does not have a Y103; it only has a 103H which I would not install. An the Tire Rack does not have the OEM Michelins anymore either.

Any suggestions as to how to get one? Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Tire installation (noahas)

Quote, originally posted by noahas »
Seth,
Where did you get them? eBay?

Yes, but the seller happened to be local. The reviews on other enthusiast boards were very good, too.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Re: Tire installation (Itzmann)

Hi Francisco,
I would not worry about using H rated tires on the Phaeton. Unless you have removed the speed limiter and drive over 130 mph, H rated are fine. The OEM tires on NAR Phaetons are H rated from the factory. The load rating of 103 is the important bit.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Tire installation (Gobuster)

Thanks! I went down and checked, you guys are absolutely right, the OEMs are H-rated. I don't know where I got the idea that it was otherwise. I'll order a 103 H from Michelin tomorrow.
Cheers,

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Re: Tire installation (Itzmann)

I just had 4 new PZeros put on two weeks ago. 275 40 ZR19 from ebay with no miles on them - still little knubs on the tread surface. Nice safe tires and fine ride with 41 pounds front and rear. Also available in the 255 45ZR 18 size.

[edit] Rides even better on 39 pounds front/rear.

Modified by Paldi at 2:10 PM 5-24-2007

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Re: Tire installation (ADAM A)

Quote, originally posted by ADAM A »
...anyone have a good option for a all season tire.

Hi Adam:
From the bottom of my heart - don't buy all season tires, buy one set of summer tires and one set of winter tires. If you plan to keep the car for more than 40,000 miles of driving, the cost to you for rubber will be the same.
Here's how the math works: A set of all season tires will last about 40K miles on average. This means that once you hit 40K on your (proposed) new set of all seasons, you will have to buy another set of all seasons. Far better that you should buy a set of summer tires now, then get a set of winter tires in the fall. Those two sets (combined) will last you 80K miles. You might not plan to drive 80K miles, but if you plan to drive over 40K on your present car, it's the same price as two sets of all seasons.
The first year I had my Phaeton, I drove through the winter on the all seasons. I never had any concerns about getting stuck (heck, the car has 4 wheel drive), but I really didn't feel good about the cornering and stopping performance in the winter, because I knew from past experience that dedicated winter tires performed better. So, the following winter, I bought a set of dedicated winter tires (not "snow" tires, but winter tires), and wow, what a huge improvement in confidence, cornering, and stopping. It was like night and day.
This spring, I bought a set of 4 dedicated summer tires. They are far quieter than the OEM Michelin all-seasons, or anyone else's all-seasons for that matter.
The only extra expense you will encounter is the cost of a set of 4 rims for your car. This tends to average between $500 to $1,000 for a set of 4, depending on what you choose. But, honest, it's worth it, it really is.
Michael

·
Registered
134 Posts

Hi Michael et al:
I tried to post a pic of the tire in question but I can't upload the pic onto the web so my reference is this eBay Motors listing number http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...i%3D1 see picture # 28.
Since we're talking tires, I was looking at the BBS tires that are featured on the 2006 W12 eBay listing. If you read the description in the listing, it says the tires were installed at the factory. Of course, I had to ask a stupid question to the dealer: "are these high performance tires...?"
Well duh, yeah, but the sales guy was very polite and said nothing like that and simply said yes, these are 19 inch high performance tires.
A few questions, hopefully less stupid:
1. Do these make the ride noisier?
2. Do these make the ride rougher or harder?
3. If they are high performance, should I assume these will only last half as long as your Yoko's?
4. What if by some stretch I acquired this vehicle, what would be involved in changing the tires to a regular model...(thinking now about the "factory installation?"
5. Are these tires alone worth like $5k - $10k?

Modified by chrisj428 at 12:43 PM 5-24-2007

1 - 20 of 397 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.