VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just started to do this about 30 minutes ago, all the screws for the panel are off, the speaker is out, but I'm having one hell of a time after that. I got instructions on this before but they werent entirely clear.
How do you get the window handle off? Do you have to take the whole panel off?
After that I think I'll be fine, and things would be a little better if it wasnt so dang cold out! Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Re: Chrome Door Handle Install....Help! (golfkid1.8)

the window handle just pull it off, u gotta release the lock around it...look closely, u will see a black ring around that handle, push it out somehow (i dont remember, i had a manual) anyways then the handle comes off, then take the whole panel off, and put the handles in, now that i know how to do it it would take 10 minutes each side...but when I first did it it took more like 30 minutes cause i didnt want to break anything...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Chrome Door Handle Install....Help! (gti303)

Well thanks, that was easy enough, but the panel has decided to stay put around the handle piece that holds the door handle and mirror adjuster. And on the top right and side of the panel it's being a real pain to come off.
Should I just use more force to pull it off or is there a trick to getting it all the way off?
And now it's hailing outside! yah!

·
Registered
9,424 Posts

There are two big screws that hold on the oh-poop handle, then two really tiny screws right in front of the door latch. Those, plus the 7 allen screws around the edge, the speaker, the window crank and the lock pin should do it

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Chrome Door Handle Install....Help! (Zwoobah)

The panel is off! I'm so happy, but.....
I'm looking at the handle and there's a metal piece that runs through the entire length of it. I dont know if I have to take it out or what....I'm looking at it and thinking that my handle is not coming off, plus I cant get it off. Was this how everyone's was? Do I have to take that metal piece out?

·
Registered
14,594 Posts

I didn't take the door panel off to install it. Just the small panel around the handle, pull the handle like you're opening the door and there is a small metal piece that runs through the handle, just like the one you described. Take it out, you won't need it anymore. Pull the handle out with a help of a flat screwdriver or something, put the new cool one and there you go. Why did you tgake the speaker out? It's way down there, no connection with the door handle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts