VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cars did they come on? I picked some up at the junkyard off a mk1 scirocco and thought i coule mod them to work but i cant! I've seen a few rabbits on here with them and i want to get a set, what cars did they come on that fit right onto a rabbit with no mods? thanks guys
Clayton

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: Chrome door handles!!!! (mk1boy)

depends on the year of the rabbit you want them to fit on.
I'm not aware of any chrome handles that'll fit my 75.

Old dashers should work though from what I hear

·
Banned
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Chrome door handles!!!! (microeconomics)

I need the exterior chrome handles. I have the interior. I'll have to check a dasher and see if they have chrome handles. Thanks guys
Clayton

·
Registered
8,403 Posts

Are you sure that you're not talking about the Porsche 944 door handles that someone has just polished?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts

I have a few set of Chrome door handles that fit rabbits and jetta's at my house. I get them from a guy in AZ

I am a door handle who..ore

Modified by vdubdoug at 12:00 PM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Re: Chrome door handles!!!! (vdubdoug)

I get them from Audi 5000. Early ones (Rabbit Scirocco, Dasher, Porsche 924); I am not sure the year split, don't work with more contemporary VW.
I this picture we have an (L to R) early chrome, normal and the audi 5K (Keyless but I have the other too). Early ones Push only, the Audi 5K you have to swap out the piece that pushes down. It's a press pin that a small punch easily swaps out. The plastic trim is the hardest to salvage. Also the Brazillian Handle (Fox) is completely metal and can be chromed and will accept the metal trim piece.

I have an early set that pushes that I will sell if anytone needs it for a 75 or what not.

Modified by fwdvw at 8:56 AM 7-3-2003

Modified by fwdvw at 8:58 AM 7-3-2003

·
Banned
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Chrome door handles!!!! (fwdvw)

I need the ones that push out, then go down. The scirocco ones i have only push out. So i do need to get them from a 5000?

·
Registered
5,743 Posts

Yup, the Audi 5K ones will work but again you have to swap the push down thingy. The early levers also have a longer trigger than the late junk they sell now days so they're kinda neat.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

What year fox door handles are different? Because I got a door handle from a fox in a yard and it is exactly like every other vw doorhandle i've ever seen

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Re: Chrome door handles!!!! (s-rocc)

Quote, originally posted by s-rocc »
What year fox door handles are different? Because I got a door handle from a fox in a yard and it is exactly like every other vw doorhandle i've ever seen

I don't know what year specifically, but I would guess that the PO of those Foxes changed the handles when they broke. If you see a FOX with the plastic trim (Sometimes metal) those are the ones. I saw these metal handles on atleast 3 or 4 Junk Yard Foxes. Just remember the Fox handles are not Chrome, I am just suggesting that they are solid metal instead of the hybrid plastic metal that the later car came with. Since they are steel they can be Chromed for addtional cost.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

WOW... just wanted to say AWESOME advice... I never thought I'd get em to work!!!
Lets take it one step further!!!
How do I get my chrome inserts onto these door handles? Is there a year or car that had chrome inserts that would fit onto the early Audi 5K door handles?!?!?!

·
Banned
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Chrome door handles!!!! (AdidasCU)

Quote, originally posted by AdidasCU »
WOW... just wanted to say AWESOME advice... I never thought I'd get em to work!!!
Lets take it one step further!!!
How do I get my chrome inserts onto these door handles? Is there a year or car that had chrome inserts that would fit onto the early Audi 5K door handles?!?!?!

Well i guess you were right man, i couldn't get the scirocco ones to fit in the bastid. All i did to fit the inserts in was grind the edges down and double sidded tape, ohh yea!! its looks great and i can't get them to budge after forcing them on for about a half an hour. If you have an extra set, i would buy them from you! LMK later man
Clayton

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Clayton... how's the G60? So you want me to pick you up Audi 5K door handles next time I come across them?

·
Registered
17,915 Posts

fwdvw said:
I have an early set that pushes that I will sell if anytone needs it for a 75 or what not.
QUOTE]
Really?!?

Please lmk how much...only prob I can see is that i'm up here in the great white north.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Having a hell of a time making the chrome strips work.... Using grocery store bought double sided tape.... How did you get yours to work.... Feels like the shape of the chrome strip is a bit off from the shape of what normally goes in there/.. tips or tricks?!?!?!!?
Pretty please!!!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Re: Chrome door handles!!!! (AdidasCU)

The chrome trim will fit after both mounting clips are trimed away.
take some fadded black plastic trim pieces (though they are now as rare as cake) and grind the edges down so the chrome (stainless to be exact) trim is a good thight fit.
Glue it on using some PU bassed body glue (sealer will do).
Clip onto the chrome handles.
Early style (pre 76) and rocco 1 handles fit all later models if you use the lock mechanism as well. Bolts line up but some of the panel will need to be cut away. For the perfect look weld small plates to the areas now open.
Some aftermarket doors accept both locks.

·
Banned
7,799 Posts
Re: Chrome door handles!!!! (grasshopperdrag)

i have two of the early scirocco chrome doorhandles and will sell to anyone for $20 i need to get rid of these. as they are just taking up space.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts