VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, was curious if this is a common issue or if it's something I should talk to the dealer about. I'm in Canada and the weathers starting to warm up and I cleaned the tips. They were pretty bad since I haven't been able to clean them over the winter. I noticed all 4 tips have this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Micro fibre towel and some CLR. It's only on the bottom portion of the exhaust. So I doubt it's from cleaning, as I clean the top portion the same way.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
IMHO CLR is the cause and you only see it on the bottoms because that's where the heaviest deposits are at and where you scrub and spray the most. The company that makes it says it is OK for chrome but there are also many people online that report chrome pitting from using CLR. CLR is definitely more acidic than you need to remove the soot. I recommend a chrome polish paste.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMHO CLR is the cause and you only see it on the bottoms because that's where the heaviest deposits are at and where you scrub and spray the most. The company that makes it says it is OK for chrome but there are also many people online that report chrome pitting from using CLR. CLR is definitely more caustic than you need to remove the soot. I recommend a chrome polish paste.
I doubt it's from cleaning them, as I mix CLR with water when I wash them. I've also cleaned them all spring, summer and fall of 2016 and no pitting. Leave them for a couple months over winter and they start pitting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a slight case of this pitting as well and I only ever clean with dawn and a kitchen scrubbing sponge. My guess is it's just not the best chrome from VW.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same issue with my tips. I use Nevr-Dull. Noticed it last week after using Nevr-Dull since I got the car a year ago. Was at the dealer the other day and he said to just have them replace it when it gets worse...under warranty.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same issue with my tips. I use Nevr-Dull. Noticed it last week after using Nevr-Dull since I got the car a year ago. Was at the dealer the other day and he said to just have them replace it when it gets worse...under warranty.
That's good to hear, how do yours compare to mine?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine aren't as bad as yours yet. My pitting is starting on the inside edge...so the service advisor said to wait until it gets worse the they will replace them. It's a lease so I'll have to do it before I turn it in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do you guys with pitting all live where they salt the roads? This guess is coming from a guy who lives where it doesn't snow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep...I'm thinking it's the salt as well. Even tho we've not had even 2 inches of snow all season...they still put the salt on the roads...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ottawa, Canada. They salt the roads probably 3-5 times a week so far this winter

·
Registered
164 Posts
PA so yes to the salt. Could very well be the cause. Oh well, guess that just means I need a cat-back now.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I would recommend not using CLR. Despite their claims that it's OK for chrome, it's still an acidic product and if you have any micropitting in the chrome it's gonna get a lot worse.

The only thing I use on my tips is car soap and water then a polish with Autosol Shine cream. It's a paste polish (even comes in a tube like toothpaste) and leaves a protective film behind that seems to resist carbon build-up for a week or so. I just washed my car after several weeks of cold/ice and salt (mostly the spray-on stuff here rather than good old NaCl crystals), gave the tips a polish and they look like new.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use Nevr-Dull as well and noticed the same thing the last time I cleaned them up. I don't think it's just road salt, or they'd be slightly pitted all the way around. Let us know if you can get them replaced under warranty? I'm thinking that if they'll replace them, I'm going to try drilling a small hole on the bottom of the exhaust in front of each one to let condensate drain out instead of rolling over the finished edge all the time. Guessing they'll take less cleaning that way too.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would recommend not using CLR. Despite their claims that it's OK for chrome, it's still an acidic product and if you have any micropitting in the chrome it's gonna get a lot worse.

The only thing I use on my tips is car soap and water then a polish with Autosol Shine cream. It's a paste polish (even comes in a tube like toothpaste) and leaves a protective film behind that seems to resist carbon build-up for a week or so. I just washed my car after several weeks of cold/ice and salt (mostly the spray-on stuff here rather than good old NaCl crystals), gave the tips a polish and they look like new.
Ok I'll look around for some for sure. Its frustrating, because I had chrome tips on my A4 sline. Washed them for 5 years the same way in the same weather, and never had issues. I guess the R has some sensitive plating on them.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Interesting. Which warranty covers that? I'm still new to new car ownership, and my R just passed 1 year at 16k miles. I also just used Nevr-Dull for the first time a few weeks ago and noticed pitting. I live in a state that doesn't use rock salt, but uses liquid Magnesium Chloride. They claim it's not as corrosive, but it really is, and it's not nearly as effective as salt.

I guess the R has some sensitive plating on them.
Everything about this friggin car's exterior is sensitive and it pisses me off. I'm so god damned careful with how I wash it and take care of it, but I still have swirls and scratches. I wish I had some recourse...

1 - 20 of 86 Posts