VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Small design flaw for sure, hopefully they don't give us a run around over them. VW website has replacements for $125 each. That's pretty crazy considering I haven't even got 8 months out of mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I scrubbed mine a little to hard on one of them on the bottom inside took off some of the chrome woops

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Quick update, just received a call from the dealership. They will be replacing all 4 tips under warranty. Scheduled service for next week.

Ah good to hear might have to have a talk with mine

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quick update, just received a call from the dealership. They will be replacing all 4 tips under warranty. Scheduled service for next week.

Aren't the tips welded on to the pipes? I can see how they remove the current ones but how do you suspect they affix the replacements?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Aren't the tips welded on to the pipes? I can see how they remove the current ones but how do you suspect they affix the replacements?
They are a four point weld type system is how they are held on. hard to explain

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
2016 R here. Not quite 9K miles since December, 2015. One of my four tips is putting like the pictures. As long as it's not going to get worse I don't really care since you have to stick your nose down there to even see it.

Will keep An eye on it in any case...

I also don't see a reason to get the tips replaced at this point since it's pretty clear that without acknowledgement from VW - the replacements will have the same issue. So why waste my time?

·
Registered
107 Posts
2015 here and no issues yet.
I use the soap and water I use to wash my car and a #0000 steel wool to clean my tips. Come out looking brand spanking new every time. #0000 doesn't scratch, just makes them shiny which makes my car go faster :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just the tips, and yes, they were welded on.

Did they get the new ones lined up properly? I'd be scared the VW tech would just slap them on, weld and step back and say "sheeet, looks good" and they're way off, similar to a drilled license plate.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
From what I can tell, they slide into a certain position and stop. Then they just weld them into place so they don't move. Everything looks good. And from working at a dealership when I was younger. Anyone who works at the dealership could put your licence plate on. I've seen lot kids, car cleaning guys and sales reps who can barely hold a drill lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Glad to see some resolution. I live in AZ and have no salt issues, but when taking SuperClean, then BriteBoy chrome/metal polish on a microfiber cloth, I ended up with this as well on my '16 R. I don't clean them often (probably 2nd or 3rd time in 28k miles), but the pitting lines up with where the carbon built-up was.

Pics are right to left. The outer, valved pipes have it worse than the inner pipes that see more flow, and thus, more carbon.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
The tips are not welded on. You can remove them by prying the from the back. Takes a little elbow grease but I had all four removed in about ten minutes. I found the inside tips covered in soot were fine but the outside tips that get more water and less soot were pitting like the pictures. Not a very high qaulty application of chrome on these tips.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've got the same issue on my exhausts. Just been to the dealer for my first service and brought this up. They'd not heard of this being an issue covered under warranty, but are checking for me. Has anyone else had this covered under warranty?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'm not sure why you guys have to scrub the carbon off? I just wipe the carbon off after every 1-2 drives with a wet paper towel.
Hahah well if you wipe it off every time you drive yes then no scrubbing. But if you wait a week then you need to scrub

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks Blitz. I showed the dealer your invoice and they wondered if it said warranty, but was actually covered by the dealer (or whether the dealer actually got paid on the warranty claim). Just wondered if anyone else had been successful.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts