VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I just redid mine in gloss black. Definitely looks better than matte black or chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
Dropped them off at a place today to get them rechromed for $35/tip. Seems like a good deal as compared to buying more expensive OEM tips that will just have the same problem. Supposedly, the plating will be more durable than OEM.
Having done a bit of Googling, it seems like getting the exhaust tips rechromed might be really expensive, so it's possibly cheaper and easier just to get new ones. Could I ask where you've had yours done? Might be worth mailing them to that place if it works out OK. Did you do all the cleaning/sanding before sending them, or just send them as is for that price?

For those that have painted them, would it be better to paint with a high gloss/chrome spray? I assume I need automotive paint, but it looks like that's always black. Any suggestions for brands to look for?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm bothered enough to worry about this, but for those of you who are, I'd suggest that a ceramic coating, like Jet-Hot, might be a more durable (and attractive) solution: https://www.jet-hot.com/
This is gloss black. I n my opinion it looks better than chrome or matte black. I had matte black before.

I used the primer and paint pictured below. Three primer layers then three paint layers then baked it in oven for 15 min. Looks and feel OEM.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
This is gloss black. I n my opinion it looks better than chrome or matte black. I had matte black before.

I used the primer and paint pictured below. Three primer layers then three paint layers then baked it in oven for 15 min. Looks and feel OEM.

This looks great. I wasn't a fan of black tips originally but now they are definitely growing on my. The RS3 looks good with black tips...I think since we have a black diffusor it matches well. I agree that gloss black looks better than matte.

I have a second set of AWE Black Diamond tips I got used (but pretty much for free) and the finish on the inside of the double wall is not holding up. I'm not sure what AWE used but I've read other people having issues with the black diamond finish as well. I thought I could have them painted gloss black but wasn't sure I would DIY. I may DIY now.

You sanded the tips before painting right? What grit did you use?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Definitely not a difficult DIY, just a little time consuming. Yes, I sanded the tips with 120 then 300 grit, removed all the old paint, washed them, cleaned them with acetone then painted them. I shook those cans vigorously for 5-10 min. Waited 3 minutes between primer coats, 10 min between paint coats. Waited 2 hours before baking them at 250 for 15 min. Results were amazing. I also thought of clear coating them with the same type of fire proof clear coat but decided that they’re already as shiny as I like them to be already.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts