861 - 880 of 1183 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #862 · (Edited)

·
Registered
127 Posts
That is very cool. When you end up doing a full review of the AEM, I'd love to know what the learning curve will be for a 'NO custom tuning experience, but eager to learn' perspective might be. It looks very, very exciting, though.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #864 ·
That is very cool. When you end up doing a full review of the AEM, I'd love to know what the learning curve will be for a 'NO custom tuning experience, but eager to learn' perspective might be. It looks very, very exciting, though.
Chris, this is the most user friendly and easy to use software I've used to date. There is really zero learning curve if you have experience with tuning (just familiarize yourself with the GUI) -- for a totally green person, I can see the learning curve being very short. The VE based tuning makes it really easy. A main VE table, a target timing table, and a lambda table is all that is really needed to get a car running better than the typical canned stage tune. The rest of the stuff is really fancy bells and whistles that you can play with later as you get more comfortable with tuning. The fact that the PnP comes with a 1.8t session pre-loaded as a base file, makes it super easy for the novice to get going. For example, this is say 100 times easier and more straightforward than using Maestro (which is Alpha-N based with some voodoo sprinkled on it). :beer:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Chris, this is the most user friendly and easy to use software I've used to date. There is really zero learning curve if you have experience with tuning (just familiarize yourself with the GUI) -- for a totally green person, I can see the learning curve being very short.
Fantastic - count me in! :wave:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Being able to run with a quality MAP/MAF-less and running the DV's to atmosphere is worth purchasing the AEM... Let alone being able to tune the car! :laugh:

On a scale of 1 to MegaSquirt, how does this rate?

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #870 ·
Being able to run with a quality MAP/MAF-less and running the DV's to atmosphere is worth purchasing the AEM... Let alone being able to tune the car! :laugh:

On a scale of 1 to MegaSquirt, how does this rate?
MS has improved a lot over the years, but it's a different class of standalones. To compare this you'd need to bring mames like Motec, Haltech, or other top shelf EMS.

Looks good Max!
Looks real good!
:beer::beer:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #871 · (Edited)
Take two on the aluminum exhaust. It was too loud and needed more muffling, especially at 3.5" ID piping from cat delete-back. I added a resonator in the mid-pipe (cat delete pipe) and will give it a try. I have a feeling a second aluminum muffler will still be needed to get the decibels at 50 feet in check. V2 after adding a resonator:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #873 ·
Yes, there will be a turndown (really a turnaway from the mic's location). It will be a clamp-on piece so I can easily move it from the natural facing-down to facing-away while at the track. I haven't clamped it on yet since I might have to add a second alluminum muffler. :thumbup:

·
Registered
552 Posts
As much a pain as those decibel limits may seem it just reminds me how I lost my favorite track back in the 90s. So at that time I worked about 3 miles away from the old Detroit Dragway and on the weekends if it was humid you could hear some of the crazier cars even 3 miles away. I used to run my Mustang up there right after work and run a few passes for the whopping $15 that they would charge back then. Then someone built new condos about half a mile away and people were just shocked to find out that it was kind of loud on the weekends when they were racing (LOL maybe they sold all the units in the winter so no one noticed the track) but it wasn't long before they shut the track down and we had to drive an hour to the next one that just became crowded and you got much fewer passes in.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
As much a pain as those decibel limits may seem it just reminds me how I lost my favorite track back in the 90s. So at that time I worked about 3 miles away from the old Detroit Dragway and on the weekends if it was humid you could hear some of the crazier cars even 3 miles away. I used to run my Mustang up there right after work and run a few passes for the whopping $15 that they would charge back then. Then someone built new condos about half a mile away and people were just shocked to find out that it was kind of loud on the weekends when they were racing (LOL maybe they sold all the units in the winter so no one noticed the track) but it wasn't long before they shut the track down and we had to drive an hour to the next one that just became crowded and you got much fewer passes in.
The drag strip is about 2 miles the way the crow flies from my buddy's house where my project car is. I hear them racing all the time while I"m wrenching. That's just motivation. :laugh: Luckily, I can drive the car around the neighborhood to shake it down and right back in the basement to work on things. That way when it's ready, I can just go straight to the drag strip! :cool:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Check this out, it's about 2 miles from my work right now and I pass by it all the time. The city of Pontiac is a crack infested bankrupt turd like Detroit right next to one of the most expensive cities in Michigan to live in, go figure. Anyway, it makes the land cheap, there are several 100+ acre former GM sites that are abandoned and they plan on building this car lover's Mecca there. The video describes in a way I can't.
http://www.m1concourse.com/media.php

861 - 880 of 1183 Posts