VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just came across a set of these headlights in mk1 round fitments. an H6014 type bulb. apparently a sealed beam with a replaceable bulb.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I had a set of those in a Toyota that I drove, long before quartz halogens were popular... They Rocked.
Now Relay the headlights and you will be very please with your front headlights.
x2

I think they are a better light than Hellas...better cutoff pattern and light focus. Contact user "BlitzkriegB.C." and have him set you up with a relayed light harness. Most light bulbs only see between 10-11 volts. It may not seem like much, bit it means the light is producing almost 40% of what it should. I got a relay harness from him from my MK3 and was blown away with how much brighter they are. Pretty good quality harness too . I relayed up most of my cars. You will not be disappointed .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool. thanks for all the info. im not sure if i am going to use them are not. mine is a 84 gti so i still have squares and a fairly mint body in the middle of a carb'd 16v swap so we'll see.

·
Registered
21,552 Posts
Even if you don't use them, Relay your Headlights.... You will be surprised.
There is a 2 relay, and a 3 relay style.... The 3 relay operates your Low Beams at the same time your highs are on....
What a frigging difference between the 2 and 3.

Measure your voltage on your headlight sockets it will usually be 10.75 to 11.5v.
Relaying them they go to Battery Voltage, at rest or 13.75 at run.... :)

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
There is a 2 relay, and a 3 relay style.... The 3 relay operates your Low Beams at the same time your highs are on....
What a frigging difference between the 2 and 3.

I've heard of this before, but how long does a H4 bulb last with both filaments lit?

I'd think the additional heat wouldn't be good for the bulb or the silvering.

-Todd

·
Registered
21,552 Posts
I have a set of Silverstars, and I usually don't use my Highs alot.
I did try them out on the 3 relay the other night, AWESOME......

I think the Cibies would hold up just fine, and I think I never replaced the Bulb in my set for the 5 years that I drove it.
I have been driving mine for about 6-7 maybe longer, years since I relayed them and haven't burned out a bulb yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts