VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this in the pre-Cincy "sticky" which I don't think anyone is looking at anymore, so here it is again (plus any other pictures y'all may have, hint, hint, ahem):

To summarize this year for clan Chassin: what an adventure! We're back home safe but wow! Bringing two cars exponentially increases the risks...

1) The Stepchild lost the right front caliper somewhere in Indiana, but we got that sorted out quickly and it’s not much of a tale to tell. Weird pad problem, bla bla.

2)Petra’s car (“Bob”) was a completely different story. When we arrived Friday, it was like this:
Eric: “how was your ride?”
Petra: “Fine, but I need a louder stereo”.
Eric: ”Huh…really, um OK. Anyways let’s get some food, and hey: let me ride in your car”.
Petra: “Sure!”…….*vroooOOOMMM! ... hooooowwwwwWWWWWWLLLLLLL*
Eric: “Uh, your stereo is fine, you can’t hear it because one of your front bearings is ruined”.
Petra: “Oh. I was wondering what that noise w-- *POP! clatter clatter clatter clatter clatter…..*

The car was no longer driveable, but we limped it back to the house with only the brakes holding the wheel on. Here’s what happened next, note how many people are involved:
Daun offered a bearing he had at the other hanger.
Brad flew me in Jeff’s plane to get the bearing and a bunch of tools, and used Dave's key to get into the hanger.
Then Brad flew me back, and he went to get the pizzas and we all ate heartily.

After dinner I got the strut/spindle out, and Daun Sr got us access to his neighbor’s machine shop.
Freddy pressed out the hub and the old bearing and pressed in the new bearing.
Drew got the old inner race off of the hub so Freddy could press the hub back in.
[Eric’s contribution was to repeatedly let the arbors fall off the press, which was LOUD]
Numerous people provided appropriate heckling (the axle nut was loose and caused the bearing failure…), and supportive advice while I put the strut/spindle back in.
And Voila, 3 hours and 2 plane flights later, Petra’s car is good again. Wow.

Then we were exhausted and slept well. Saturday, we had plain ol' fun:

Settled in (Timbo got our camera out of the darned Soft Focus):

I missed pictures till Young's, but others will fill in those gaps I'm sure, but here's Youngs:

Isaac with Mom and Dad and Becky:

Cathy ate all her veggies, note my kids squabbling [again]:

Samantha and Roger chillin':

"Now what?!"

Soon-to-be Mom and Dad:

"Isaac, pay attention, this is how you eat ice cream":

"You have to unhinge your jaw, like this":

Sciroccos:

On the road home, what could possibly go wrong now:

How about "blinding rain"? Never seen that before. We were happy to get off the highway safe. It's already a lot better in this pic:

We sought refuge in a convenience mart and decided to have a picnic. "I sure know how to show The Lady a great time!":

They sell pickles:

The rain finally stopped and we got home safe:

So that was our Great Adventure. Thanks again to everyone that made it all work out :heart:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sadly, we have no bacon pictures. I think you inhaled that plateful too quickly for any good action shots. Actually, I think Good Carl took the infamous bacon pic. Our camera wouldn't have done the job any justice, since it was still set in soft focus.

For those of you not in the know, Freddy ordered a massive, beautiful plateful of bacon on Saturday morning. With a side of bacon on the side. We thought he had ordered it for the whole table.

Boy, were we wrong.

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
yes, there are bacon pix...

What, no bacon pictures? :p

haven't uploaded them yet kind sir.

but i have a couple pics of fred's incredible 15 piece bacon order. :thumbup::eek:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I will have :pic: of Cincy, will post them Sunday, currently still driving south to Florida, will be home late Friday or early Saturday :cool:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
A couple of :pic: from Saturday & Sunday :

a different kind of Karmann at Young's Daily, Sunday afternoon :cool:

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
So, did Petra buy "the hot pickle"? Because THAT would make a great award!!!!! I should get some posted up but Photobucket is SOOOO annoying....
:banghead: I'd almost rather drop a gearbox than deal with that. :p

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Hey Look!, I made it to Cincy!... < squints> Oh, wait- that aint me...

So, did Petra buy "the hot pickle"? Because THAT would make a great award!!!!! I should get some posted up but Photobucket is SOOOO annoying....
:banghead: I'd almost rather drop a gearbox than deal with that. :p

Ahem;

(Why isn't there a "Submitted with respect and admiration" emoticon anywhere?...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.