VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i want to run a turbo draw through on my aircooled, and i was wondering which is the preferred setup?
i have complete setup coming from a guy on the samba and i believe it to be a cis-e setup. if this is so, and basic is the preferred setup, then what should i do with my e dizzy to make it work with a boost reference WUR?
im a little green to this stuff, and alot of the links to reading material are dead. i have been searching.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Re: CIS and turbocharging. which is better, basic or e? (flyguyeddy)

CIS-E works well with turbochargers once it is tuned. I assume you aren't aiming for a lot of power? IME, turbo CIS-E is good for about 180 crank, which is enough to break the Beetle's original non-counterbalanced crankshaft.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Re: (flyguyeddy)

Quote, originally posted by flyguyeddy »
i actually have a counterweighted crank for it and plan to go with a 1776 buildup.

OK. The extra displacement will help a little with spool-up, but I wouldn't go too far with it, as the heads flow poorly and don't support big displacement without a lot of port work.
The counterbalanced crank and some good rods and pistons will definitely set the stage for some good power, though. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Southcross)

Quote, originally posted by Southcross »
push the compression on the engine... and a small turbo. Say 10:1 and 5-7psi... should make for a fun little aircooled

It would be responsive off-boost, but high-CR air cooled engines have a hard time keeping cool, even without a turbo. And with those temp spikes come the increased chance of detonation, which the Beetle engine is not too tolerant of.
I say keep that stock-ish 7.2:1 CR and boost it around 10 PSI with your garden variety air cooled T3. Should make about the same power as less boost with more compression, but it will be much happier about doing it.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
FV-QR

*insert why water cooled engines are better comment here*

interesting... wouldn't have thought of that. what r/c's are available for Rod/Piston combinations on air cooleds? anything approaching 8 or 8.5:1?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.