VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my GTI originally had an Digi II engine. I had several problems with it and I needed it to run fast so I switched to a 32/36 carb which ended up being quite expensive. Curently I have a chance of getting a 16V engine, just the engine itself. I have a CIS basic setup and my complete Digi II setup and a spare setup that a friend could sell me for cheap. I also have access to a Ross Tech computer and the 2x2 adaptors to find out what is wrong with my Digi system. Basically what do you guys recomend for a daily driver. I need something fast but basically reliability would be the priority. I know that getting both setups running are not staigh plug and plays but I really need something that won't give me any headaches since I have to go to school and work everyday.

Thanks for taking the time and all helpful advises will be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

· Registered
1,923 Posts
Yeah but CIS basic with no computer is so simple it isnt funny. Just the fuel distributor, WUR, coolant temp and thermo time to control the cold start injector.

Only drawback is that you will need a vacuum advance distributor. I hear early saab 900's work.

· Registered
9,008 Posts
Yeah but CIS basic with no computer is so simple it isnt funny. Just the fuel distributor, WUR, coolant temp and thermo time to control the cold start injector.

Only drawback is that you will need a vacuum advance distributor. I hear early saab 900's work.
don't need vacuum dist.
just use the knock sensor ignition setup from a cis-e car

digi is utter garbage compared to cis...though,depending on what the cis is out of, it may run lean up top on a 16v without some tuning.

· Registered
4,943 Posts
I would find a CIS-E system, because it is so easy to fix the lean fueling at high rpm issue.

Otherwise I woud put the digi II hadware on there and replace the ecu with megasquirt or microsquirt.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have a CIS basic setup off an 88 Cabriolet, 3 CIS-E systems off early MK2's, and 2 Digi II, one is off a 93 Cabriolet and the other one is off a 90 MK2 GTI.

I had several problems with the Digi setup before I really don't like it that much but now that I have access to a ross tech software it might be way easier and faster to fix than what it used to be before for me. Now on the other hand, CIS and CIS-E to me are very reliable but kind of hard to fix since there's basically no diagnosis port or anything. On the other hand I also need to make this work fast. What is the best option?

Thanks for all the great input I really appreciate the help :thumbup:

· Registered
9,906 Posts
You will spend alot of money converting the 16v to accept and EFI setup. If you want to keep it cheap, definetly go with CIS. It is the most bomb proof setup vw ever came out with and is dead nuts reliable if you take care and set it up properly. Digi2 is not made for a 16v, nor does it do that great of a job with it. There are very few people that have truely good running digi2 16v's and most just think its great cause it idles and start easily. If you want to go efi, sell off all that extra crap you have and buy a megasquirt, it is hands down the best efi setup you can get on a tight budget.

When i swapped the 16v into my digi2 8v GTI, i did the whole thing for about $500 in parts, that included the engine gaskets, clutch and MS swap :beer:

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I have heard so many good things about MS and I have been wanting to get my hands on a setup. Where can i get it and for how much? I know Paul works for a company that sells it but I just can't find the link. Also, how would I wire it. I think for the moment I would go either CIS or CIS-E since it would also give me a great MPG as far as I've heard.

Does anyone have any MS helpful info?

Thanks once again :thumbup:

· Registered
48,466 Posts
There are very few people that have truely good running digi2 16v's and most just think its great cause it idles and start easily. If you want to go efi, sell off all that extra crap you have and buy a megasquirt, it is hands down the best efi setup you can get on a tight budget.
sooo true :laugh:

yay it started! digi2 rocks :laugh:

· Registered
9,906 Posts
Does anyone have any MS helpful info?

Thanks once again :thumbup:
There is a TON of info out there, start searching and you will get your answers. We do have a standalone forum on here as well in the tech section, lots of MS builds posted there too:beer:

· Registered
48,466 Posts
paul sells them through kptuned
i also sell them through spitfireefi.com

both of our sites have help sections, weve got some good articles on spitfire and some sample tunes/maps

as brendon mentioned above, theres a great community of guys in the carb/itb/sem forum that will be more than happy to walk you through the setup :beer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.