VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 GTi 8v cis-e currently. I'm going to put in a 2.o L 9A engine. I don't know if I should run cis-e or motronic.
Please tell me:
Will my current injectors work on the 2 liter 16 v head?
If I keep CIS-e, what will I need from the 2 liter set up? knock box? knock sensor? fuel pump relay? Anything else?
If I convert to CIS-e Motronic, is this a major project? Would being able to chip the motronic set up make it worth the hassle...
Please Help!

· Registered
219 Posts
Re: CIS-e and CIS-e motronic experts help me with my swap! (scottamus36)

If you are going to run a 9a, I would actually recomend going to digi 1 over motronic. I did a 9A swap with motronic, and dont get me wrong, I like it alot, its just after doing another 9A swap into my friends corrado with the digi 1, that would be what Id do if I was to again. It removes the big fuel distributor with air plate, and allows you to use a smaller air flow meter. Digi 1 is a pulsed injuection system, which is also more consistent, and SNS tuning sells custom burned chips for $100, which includes reburns.
But back to your question...if you are just going to swap to a 9A 16V and run CIS-E, you will need the knock boxes...if you are thinking of going motronic, there is a great step by step at http://scirocco.org....go to the tech prociedures section, and then go to scirocco 16V, and click on the CIS-E to Motronic....it will help you out a good bit.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: CIS-e and CIS-e motronic experts help me with my swap! (scvw79)

thanks for the reply. I saw the conversion write-up. Looks like a pain in the a$$ for a few extra HP...Maybe down the road.
I'm surprised you mentioned Digifant as most people detest this, dont they?
So as far as using existing Cis-e setup... Can anyone for sure clarify what is needed:
proper ECU?
different knock box?
extra knock sensor?
proper fuel puymp relay? anything else?

· Registered
2,094 Posts

If you are putting the 2.0L into a car with an existing CIS-E setup, you need nothing. Pull out the 1.8L 16v and hook in the 2.0L as if it was the same engine. Injectors, all that is the same. The motronic had an additional knock sensor as well as a few other differences... of course ECU and all that. Who cares, the 1.8L CIS-E will hook right up.
Oh crap, its going into an 8v CIS-E. There were a few differences from 8v CIS-E to 16v CIS-E. You will need a "yellow" knock box... and I think the injectors are the same. However, they are routed to the front of the motor so I would reccomend getting some CIS-E 16v Injector lines. I dont really know what else you need for this swap. I really dont remember. Anyone know of what wires are different>??

Modified by CrackerX at 8:52 AM 7-17-2003

· Registered
2,341 Posts
Re: CIS-e and CIS-e motronic experts help me with my swap! (CrackerX)

You'll need the 16V CIS-E ECU and harness The yellow capped knock box. I'd go tfor the 16V airbox /fule dist. and lines as I'm not sure if the 8V stuff is compatible.
Really though, the Motronic swap isn't very hard. The worst part of it is soldering the wiring harness together . If you have access to a full motronic system. I'd recommend it. I'm in the air right now between going with Motronic on my beast or stepping into the abyss and trying Digi I or II. I know the Motronic pretty well, and next to nothing about Digi. I'd also understood that SNS requires you to dyno your can so they can tweak your curves for good performance. That's great.... if you have access to a dyno and deeper pockets. I will say though that the thought of not seeing that honkin' airbox and such is very tempting. Just my 2

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: CIS-e and CIS-e motronic experts help me with my swap! (89GLI16V)

I guess I'll definitely need fuel dist with longer fuel lines... I think air box and the"air measuring" apparatus on top of it is the same.
I would think the harnesses are the same as far as layout, but maybe a few wires here and there are different lengths?
I can understand why youd want the 16V ECU even though the 8v is probably workable...
SOLDERING wires? lots of wires? I'm imagining that wire harness turning into a rats nest! Can you tell me how many wires need to be changed?

· Registered
3,166 Posts

i've done the swap. it's not hard.
you can use your ecu and knock box. the only gain from the different knock box is a higher rev limiter.....it's not crucial to the car running. and the ecu's are the same.
there's some connections in the harness that have to be moved, some lengthened, some shortened.
throttle switches: connection needs to be lengthened about 3" to have enough slack for engine movement.
coolant sensors: 9a block actually has one of these holes plugged with a 5mm allen cap. remove it, install brown coolant sensor, hook to brown harness connection. the white one in the side of the head is the same one on your harness.
5th injector: i believe you just have to move the wires over. i think they are long enough.
injectors: you have to get the 16v fuel lines, 8v ones will not work, nor will they screw onto the 16v lines.
fuel plate/dizzy: it's the same. so long as it's silver, not black.

oil pressure sensors: you're gonna have them both down on top of the oil filter housing now, you'll have to lengthen one of the two, i think it's the blue one (the one that's normally in the side of the head of an 8v)
coolant temp sensor for the guage: now goes into the side of the head on the 16v. should be a red/yellow wire, but dont quote me on it.
oil temp sensor is in the back of the head now, i think on the 8v it's on top of the oil filter housing. has a green with black wire going to it.
you just wanna cut your harness open, take note of what goes where, and lengthen accordingly, just about everything fits already, as the 8v connections are more twards the center of the engine, as where on a 16v, they are all on the side of the head...some of the stuff will be too long. what i did was i just doubled some of it back inside the harness covering....just so i didn't have a ton of wires hangin out in my engine bay....
here's a pic of the mess i dealt with.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: CIS-e and CIS-e motronic experts help me with my swap! (DCI VW)

thanks for the info, thats the type of info i REALLY need! A couple of ? to clarify:
In regards to injectors, you mean just the lines or injectors as well? Please clarify.
Your picture scares me a bit...

where you happy with the results of your swap?

· Registered
6,836 Posts

16V fuel lines AND injectors are different than 8V units, from what I understand. Theres even a difference in lines from a 1.8L 16V and its 2 litre counterpart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.