VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was helping a friend put an ABA in his rocco and was wondering if the fuel accumulator under the car and/or fuel pump had to changed, or will it run fine with the original cis setup?
thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Re: CIS to ABA q, not g60 related but i trust you guys over anyone (Rocc and Rado)

If your going full Motronic fuel system (from the ABA) you should change the pump and accumulator. The CIS, CISe and other 16v fuel systems used a 60-70psi fuel pump where the Digi and other Motronic fuel systems use a 35psi fuel pump. The High pressure pump will blow out the FPR and over work the injectors.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: CIS to ABA q, not g60 related but i trust you guys over anyone (DubG60)

thanks, i think we're gonna pull the pump off a digi2 gti that's just lying around waiting for a vr

btw, does a vr6 have a different rating as well, or can i use that digi2 pump with it, i know it works, my friend has that setup but i don't think he is getting proper fueling making him slower than he should be

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Re: CIS to ABA q, not g60 related but i trust you guys over anyone (Rocc and Rado)

Ready to laff??? VR6 Rado pump is the SAME as a G60 Rado pump (mind you those are the same as the Digi Golf and Jetta) They are a low pressure fuel pump. They run a similar FPR (same as the ABA Motronic) to the Digis and have the same issues. If you buddy is having fueling probs tell him to check out the wiring to the pump (common problem) or the FPR. If either is bad there will be low output.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

yeah, that did make me laugh, but not the way i wanted too

thanks though, end communication

happy holidays

·
Registered
37,492 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]If your going full Motronic fuel system (from the ABA) you should change the pump and accumulator. The CIS, CISe and other 16v fuel systems used a 60-70psi fuel pump where the Digi and other Motronic fuel systems use a 35psi fuel pump. The High pressure pump will blow out the FPR and over work the injectors.[HR][/HR]​
This goes on my list of things that are totally untrue. A CIS pump can run almost anything and the ABA FPR can handle the high pressure.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Re: CIS to ABA q, not g60 related but i trust you guys over anyone (need_a_VR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]This goes on my list of things that are totally untrue. A CIS pump can run almost anything and the ABA FPR can handle the high pressure. [HR][/HR]​
The CIS pump can and will run the ABA system. The problem comes in after a short time when the high pressure on the up side of the FPR takes its toll on the FPR or worse on the injectors themselves. The injectors can only take so much pressure before they become damaged and either stick closed or open. This is the same reason the G60 doesn't benefit from a 4bar FPR. I've seen this three times here. Twice in CIS swapped ABA Golfs and in a 16 valve swapped VR6 Jetta. In one of the ABA cars and the VR6, the FPR diaphram went bad and in all three cases at least one of the injectors got stuck. The pressure was measures on the downside of the FPR on the ABA cars and found to be well in exess of 75psi. Once the digi pump went on all was good. If not for these three cases I would probly stick with the CIS pump myself...But the proof is in the puddin as its put.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts

I kept the CIS fuel pump in my rabbit when I did the engine swap, and it ate up the 3.0BAR fpr on the G60 after about 5k miles. Since then, I have replaced it w/ the 3.5bar, and haven't had any issues yet. And I have put about 10k on it since.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Re: CIS to ABA q, not g60 related but i trust you guys over anyone (TDIVentoDave)

wouldn't the problem be with keeping the high pressure pump and using the stock low pressure FPR? It's got back up somewhere and that would be the bottleneck point.

·
Registered
37,492 Posts
Re: CIS to ABA q, not g60 related but i trust you guys over anyone (Golf-RSi)

quote:[HR][/HR]wouldn't the problem be with keeping the high pressure pump and using the stock low pressure FPR? It's got back up somewhere and that would be the bottleneck point. [HR][/HR]​
That's what the FPR is for, takes high pressure pump discharge, feeds constant to injectors, dumps the rest to the return line.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

lets see our modded G60's run 3.5bar base fuel pressure. We then run 1.0 to 1.2bar on top of that. Some run 1.5bar.
That would lead me to believe that the digi fuel pump can sustain 50psi and peak (under boost) to 70+psi.
The CIS fuel pump i believe is designed to sustain higher pressure and probably peak even higher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts