VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
New member here, not a VW owner currently, but getting lots of good (bad for the wallet) ideas from the 'tex here.
I'm wondering one thing. I know that the equivalent of the Rabbit was made for a number of years after its US cancellation in South America, under the name Citi Golf. Would it be plausible/possible to get a Citi Golf imported to the US? Do they still produce the Citi Golf, or when was it discontinued in South America?
Having lived in the snow/salt/rust belt all my life, I think it'd be nice to not have to deal with mother nature's curse on all things metallic.
Thanks in advance,
-Bob

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Citi Golf? (Wellington P Funk)

Quote, originally posted by Wellington P Funk »
Would it be plausible/possible to get a Citi Golf imported to the US? Do they still produce the Citi Golf, or when was it discontinued in South America?

yes. yes, they still make it (4 door only).

·
Registered
744 Posts
Re: Citi Golf? (Wellington P Funk)

It is still made in South Africa. See http://www.vw.co.za/models/citigolf/
Is it possible to import one into the US? Well, anything is possible with the right amount of money. If you've got 15 grand to spend to get it to the US, let me know. Look at the NHTSA website for info on actually getting into the US. I think that you'd probably be better off 'importing' a rust free car from Cali and spending the extra 13 grand on some nice mods. But if you are really set on a new one, let me know.
Cheers,
Jason

Modified by Jason @ FarOutParts at 12:46 PM 9-12-2005

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Citi Golf? (Boostin20v)

Stu,
Been thinking about either keeping the KJ and getting a project car, or ditching it for something sportier I could drive year-round. Being in Syracuse makes me think keeping it would be a good idea though. I got the SJ coilover kit and 265/75 BFG AT's sitting in the garage, never got around to installing either of them this summer.
Do you still rock the KJ? Last I heard you were mourning the loss of your MkIV, and considering a couple Mk1's. Any news?
-Bob

·
Registered
25,085 Posts
Still got the KJ, rocking the Rusty's lift and 265/70s. I did end up with 2 rabbits, both 83 GTIs one of which will get the 20v motor from my mk4.
I'd keep the KJ for winter, unless you can find a good condition rabbit -- important if it'll be a winter car is minimal rust and good heat (might have a hook up on a rabbit -- I'll check the condition)

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Optimus, maybe I can convince customs that it's a 1980 that was kept in a garage, wiped with a diaper cloth every day, and driven by a little old South American lady who only took it to church on Sunday.

Man, Mk1 forum moves fast! This was relegated to p.2 before I could hit reload!
-Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts