VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Check out this R8 posted by forum user Nightranger in another thread. It was his contention that this car is a V10 version of Audi's supercar in testing at the Nurburghring. Though there's nothing conclusive that proves that claim, this is certainly an odd duck.
The HH on the license plates and preproduction status of the R8 suggest this is a car owned by quattro GmbH. Note also some details pointed out by Nightranger. The side blade intake is rounded out for greater airflow to the motor. Also, a new sideskirt design on this particular R8 is similar in design to the skirts on the S5.
So what do you think? V10?

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Re: Claimed Audi R8 V10 Testing on the Nurburgring ([email protected])

I don't think there's any definite way to tell without a video with sound, but it's definitely possible.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Re: Claimed Audi R8 V10 Testing on the Nurburgring (Entwerfer von Audis)

Hey yeah! I completely forgot about the V12 TDi rumors and that could well be it given that the 500HP petrol V10 would put it too close to the Gallardo and steal sales.
But I personally still don't think that high performance sports-cars should have diesels and I'd be more thrilled about the V10 despite of possible cross-shopping because the R8 and Gallardo are largely aimed at different customers.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Re: Claimed Audi R8 V10 Testing on the Nurburgring (Nightranger)

I think the R8 is bound to have a TDI engine one day... why else would Audi name it after the Le Mans racer and heavily promote TDI in racing?

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Claimed Audi R8 V10 Testing on the Nurburgring (QUATTR0)

Quote, originally posted by QUATTR0 »
Perhaps it's a V12 TDI?

I heard it through the grapevine that the car would need to be lengthened to make the V12 TDI fit.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts

and heavily promote TDI in racing?

Because TDI soon makes up for nearly 50% of Audis total sales. Not only to promote future buyers, but also to welcome current TDI owners, brand recognition and make them come back for another TDI Audi.

·
Registered
70 Posts

I think the R8 is bound to have a TDI engine one day... why else would Audi name it after the Le Mans racer and heavily promote TDI in racing?
The R8 Le Mans racer was a ... petrol engined car ... the TDi that Audi are now racing in Le Mans and Sebring etc is ... an R10 which has a TDi engine in it ...
If the R8 gets a TDi engine ... surely they'll have to change the name to R10 ...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Re: Claimed Audi R8 V10 Testing on the Nurburgring (Paul96NSX)

Quote, originally posted by Paul96NSX »
The R8 Le Mans racer was a ... petrol engined car ... the TDi that Audi are now racing in Le Mans and Sebring etc is ... an R10 which has a TDi engine in it ...
If the R8 gets a TDi engine ... surely they'll have to change the name to R10 ...

Yes, I realize that... there is always a chance the TDI version will be called a R10!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.