VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like someone needs to take VW and Audi to task and sue them with a class action lawsuit. Hell we could all gain from this because the issue is affecting all their (VAG) cars to include the W8! This Coil pack issue is getting way out of hand. Maybe a lawsuit will get them off their fat corporate asses and force them fix it!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (Ronbo)

I never said I that my self was sueing them.

The fact that they have a known and admitted defect that can and eventually will have an affect on the safe operation of the vehicle. And will only replace the failed coil packs and then letting the car back out on the road with coils that "will' fail in the near future is a case of gross negligence.

This is something that they can nip in the bud if they were to replace all the coil packs on the engine instead of playing russian rouellette waithing for the others to fail. This is a case of the corporate beancounters trying to save a buck or two on the backs of the American public.

Only after they get their asses sued after some one gets rear ended after there car starts acting up or gets into accident and someone gets seriously injured or god forbid killed will they take agressive action to fix this mess.

[Modified by drplastic, 11:46 AM 1-26-2003]

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (drplastic)

quote:[HR][/HR]I never said I that my self was sueing them.

The fact that they have a known and admitted defect that can and eventually will have an affect on the safe operation of the vehicle. And will only replace the failed coil packs and then letting the car back out on the road with coils that "will' fail in the near future is a case of gross negligence.

AMEN
This is something that they can nip in the bud if they were to replace all the coil packs on the engine instead of playing russian rouellette waithing for the others to fail. This is a case of the corporate beancounters trying to save a buck or two on the backs of the American public.

Only after they get their asses sued after some one gets rear ended after there car starts acting up or gets into accident and someone gets seriously injured or god forbid killed will they take agressive action to fix this mess.

[Modified by drplastic, 11:46 AM 1-26-2003][HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (SAEDave)

again vw shoots themselves in the foot ,read my post on the bad limp wipers that destroy your soft german windows.vw wont help on this problem either.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Unfortunately, class-action suits mostly benefit lawyers.
Assuming this goes through, 5 years from now you'll get a coupon from VW good for a new pair of wiper blades...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (6cylVWguy)

This is why people in other countries laugh at the United States rate of lawsuits.
Why sue VW? They arent refusing to replace the coilpacks. And the main reason that they are only replacing ONE coilpack, the bad one, is that the part is so far behind in production on backorder.
Sueing VW will only cause negative effects. Geez, this issue is getting really really old.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (VAB5)

quote:[HR][/HR]Assuming this goes through, 5 years from now you'll get a coupon from VW good for a new pair of wiper blades...[HR][/HR]​
You hit the nail on the head. The only people who benefit from class action suits are the lawyers. They will make millions of dollars for their "services" and we owners will get a $10 off our next oil change or those free wiper blades

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (VW-Newbie)

don't forget that in order for VW to get this money back they will increase the price of the VW. This will cost us all when we go to buy are new VW's in the future.
-Tom
VW 4 life.

·
Registered
3 Posts

For whats it worth:
I was able to recoup a months payment from VW (ableit after much phone wrangling) for the 3+ weeks my car was in the shop awaiting a new coil.
But that is no substitue for the hanging uncertainty that shrouds the cars reliability -- only 4000 miles. Dependabality is one of the main reason I purchased a new car otherwise I would have continued chancing it with my former 'beater'.

CLass Action? Sign me up.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (FarFromNewgen)

It seems that all the media attention that VW is getting recently might have more of an impact than any kind of lawsuit. All we can hope for is that VW's sales in North America will drop by some noticable percentage, prompting some reaction from VW. Although we might get a coupon sometime long down the road (after we've sold our VWs or already had our coils replaced), hitting VW in the bottom line might actually benefit us when we consider buying a new VW... if we consider such a seemingly foolish purchase. VW needs to see large scale public reaction to their quality control / customer service problems. I take every opportunity to explain my car's oil consumption and interior & exterior defects when someone asks how I like my car. We can only hope that reduced sales due to poor quality will send a message to VW.
VW has enjoyed a few years at the top of the sedan market and it appears that they either couldn't keep up with demand or their quality has deteriorated with time. Either way I don't see them at the top any longer, and hopefully they'll work hard to get back there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (hrvat1)

don't forget that in order for VW to get this money back they will increase the price of the VW. This will cost us all when we go to buy are new VW's in the future.
I'm curious - how many people plan to buy another VW? I suspect that there will be a flood of VWs on the market in a few years as the warranties for 2001 and 2002s expire and people dump their cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (GoBigRed)

It seems that all the media attention that VW is getting recently might have more of an impact than any kind of lawsuit. All we can hope for is that VW's sales in North America will drop by some noticable percentage, prompting some reaction from VW. Although we might get a coupon sometime long down the road (after we've sold our VWs or already had our coils replaced), hitting VW in the bottom line might actually benefit us when we consider buying a new VW... if we consider such a seemingly foolish purchase. VW needs to see large scale public reaction to their quality control / customer service problems. I take every opportunity to explain my car's oil consumption and interior & exterior defects when someone asks how I like my car. We can only hope that reduced sales due to poor quality will send a message to VW.

I have attractive pictures of lemons decorating my windows just to warn off anyone who admires the car and might think of purchasing one--

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (FarFromNewgen)

So I guess the post by recoiled (STOP PRESS in Passat forum) is not an isolated case (re: VW covering one monthly payment). If I add that to what VW paid in rental car fees for my coil failures, they are at 1500 $ CDN just for me !!

Imagine now the price increase for the B6 with all these repair / damage control bills !!
Unless the rich Pheaton and Touareg future owners (if they still exist) are meant to subsidize lesser VW ownership ?!?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (2KPassat)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm curious - how many people plan to buy another VW? I suspect that there will be a flood of VWs on the market in a few years as the warranties for 2001 and 2002s expire and people dump their cars.[HR][/HR]​
Well, it really depends which engine you have in your VW. My 2.8 V6 in my Passat managed to dodge the coil pack issues thankfully. I believe the only other engine not affected by the coil pack failures are the base 4 banger engines (correct me if I'm wrong), as well as the 1.9 diesels.
Passats has the best resale value in it's segment, followed by the Accord, then the Camry. After this coil pack fiasco, I wonder how much this will affect the Passat's residuals...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (2KPassat)

Its doubtful I will go back to VW. Ihave been through 2 old beetles, 2 rabbits and a fox and now on a brand new GTI. I left the VW because It seem that invariably they devloped some sort of electrical problem. After a good number of years I thought they had their act together and were actually capable of making reliable quaility cars. However my experience has proven wrong. I know this coil pack thing has defintely dissuaeded a few people from making a VW their next purchase-- and I have done what I can to share my experience.
You can count me out of the VW family.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Re: Class Action Lawsuit for Coil packs! (SAEDave)

If you were in the Service Line and there were 4 cars in front of you, each with a bad coil, and the Dealer had the choice of selecting how much of his 16 coil
pack inventory he was going to use today...do you think he would prefer to put 16 cars back on the road, or use the 16 on the 4 cars in front of you???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts