VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Hopefully I'll get out a few times here in the MD/DC area this year to autox my new GTI. I hoping to get some feedback from fellow 'Texers on the class for my car, competition (and who's generally the fastest (all things being equal...)) and mods allowed to stay in a street class instead of SP...
Any clubs/events coming up/good websites would be much appreciated as well.
TIA!
=Ryan Keefe

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: Class for a 2003 GTI 1.8T and other autocross rules questions (ferndog32)

A chip will put you directly into Street Modified, which is a fun little class, especially in our region. If you want to stay close to stock though, STS is the answer. You're allowed cat back exhaust, intake, springs, shocks, sway bars, wheels and street tires (140 tread rating or higher), camber adjustments, and some other things. The next Washington DC region SCCA event is June 1st. Registration is open at http://www.autocrossers.org but its filling up fast!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Class for a 2003 GTI 1.8T and other autocross rules questions (Mhyrr)

STX... You can't run a turboed car in sts
And STX can be chipped as long as it doesn't directly control the boost.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: Class for a 2003 GTI 1.8T and other autocross rules questions (Lofi)

Some turbo cars are legal for STS, like the Golf/Jetta 1.8T
You can chip a turbo'd car provided it doesn't mess with boost yes, but show me a chip that does that.. none do..
Quote, originally posted by Lofi »

·
Registered
3,530 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Mhyrr »
You're allowed cat back exhaust, intake, springs, shocks, sway bars, wheels and street tires (140 tread rating or higher), camber adjustments, and some other things.

I was told by several ppl that because my car is turbo, downpipe/intake/rear sway made it SM, whereas if I had gotten catback instead of downpipe, it would be SP or STS/STX.
Everything I've read told me I would NOT be pushed all the way up to SM, but I've been told by several different experienced autoxers... not sure what to believe.

Modified by genxguy at 8:32 PM 5-19-2003

·
Registered
896 Posts
Re: Class for a 2003 GTI 1.8T and other autocross rules questions (genxguy)

That setup sounds STX legal to me... I believe the main differences between STS/STX and SM are the type of tire (Street vs. R compound), wheel width (7.5" max for STS, 8" for STX), and boost levels. Of course there are other little things too, but from the websites I linked from my previous posts these are the main differences...

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

i just glanced over a rulebook. i don't think the downpipe is STS/X legal.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts

There are HUGE differences between STS/STX and SM.
Unfortunately, a downpipe will place you in SM. STS/STX are designed as true street car classes, for fairly minimal modifications. Street Mod is way more open, engine transplants, forced induction, unlimited brakes, unlimited wheel/tire except slicks, unlimited suspension with stock attachment points, etc. So look at the bright side, there's lots more you can do to the car now!!!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

you guys have said most of it...just to sum up and maybe add my piece:
STS lets you run: shocks/springs, chip, catback exhaust, sawybars, wheels up to 7.5" wide, etc.
street prepared lets you: use up to 8" wheels, manifolds, exhausts, etc. basically anything you can do without opening the motor (ie, no cams, p/p)
street mod lets you do anything on a fully equipped car (full interior and accessories) within reason. same make engine swaps, tires, etc. oddly enough in NC, the best auto-x i see run SP or lower.
i'll be in the DC area for the summer and i'd like to catch up with some VW kids, maybe catch an auto-x at FedEx.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: Class for a 2003 GTI 1.8T and other autocross rules questions (pwellen)

pwellen, you've given some bad / misleading advice as to STS / STX. Essentially YOU CANNOT CHANGE CHIPS IN A 1.8T CAR for SCCA autox, be it stock, STS, STX, or DSP. Any chip that alters the boost map is illegal. 100% of the chips out there alter the boost maps (that's why people buy them). Vendors such as GIAC have repeatedly told me they do not wish to develop an STS legal chip for a 1.8t (one that would only remap fuel and spark curves).
So...forget about chips in 1.8T cars, unless ya want to run Street Mod (where you will be killed on anything other than the local level).
matt

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: Class for a 2003 GTI 1.8T and other autocross rules questions (pwellen)

Quote, originally posted by pwellen »
street prepared lets you: use up to 8" wheels, manifolds, exhausts, etc. basically anything you can do without opening the motor (ie, no cams, p/p)

Also, any tire and wheel width is allowed in Street Prepared, as well as boring the engine .040" over and port matching..

·
Registered
547 Posts

just so there is no misunderstanding....boost altering chips are also ILLEGAL in ALL Street Prepared classes (currently, the 1.8T cars are in DSP).
I can't view the rest of this thread right now (apparently, only the post I'm replying to), but here is a link to the Rules, so you can read them yourself:
http://moutons.org/sccasolo/
edit: looks like the link was previously posted. so use and enjoy, and remember...if the rules don't specifically allow it, it's not allowed.
matt

Modified by ingrahamm at 9:32 AM 5-23-2003

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: Class for a 2003 GTI 1.8T and other autocross rules questions (ingrahamm)

Would revo programing count as a loop hole since you can get away with ajusting the timing but leaving the boost un-touched?
I run my car in the GS, I'm not mod crazy so I'm happy with my koni's, ITG filter, catback, and race tires. A good set of race tires will really make a GTI lift that rear wheel!!!

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
Re: Class for a 2003 GTI 1.8T and other autocross rules questions (Lofi)

Quote, originally posted by Lofi »

Bwahahaha, and the vegas regions is putting all turbo cars in STS!!! Even WRX's.
EDIT: I'm sorry... even officers with with mods that will pull them out of that class
I guess it's just a Vegas thing, where who you know is better than the rules

I don't know if that classification is true or not (and I didn't even get to the bottom of the thread yet)

Modified by syntrix at 6:24 PM 6-17-2003

1 - 16 of 16 Posts