VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Re: Clay Bar (phatplat)

My daughter has a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse and the paint had a rough feel to it.The dealer went over it with a clay bar and then wax it again.Now the paint is smooth.I had used the clay bar when I had a 92 Honda.When I painted my garage my truck was down wind and it had specks of brown paint on it.They were on there for a year or longer but I bought clay bar from Pep Boys and went over it and there gone now.Used Klasse on my truck.You will feel the difference when you use a clay bar.Have a freind that bought 2002 Chevy truck and the paint was rough on it.He bought clay bar and went over it and now he's a believer.

· Registered
161 Posts

I tried to use the clay bar on mine... but is it just me... or is that the most time consuming, irritating process on earth? Does anyone have any advise as to how to make it easier?
_mark

· Registered
203 Posts
Re: Clay Bar (92BlkSLC)

Clay Bar Newby question:
First - I have some type of a film on the outside of my windows. I have tried almost everthing, but was told to try using a clay bar on them. Is this true??
Second - Since I live in Canada - where can I buy a clay bar??
Thanks as always??

· Registered
333 Posts
Re: Clay Bar (stubbie)

92BLK - I don't find clay hard to use at all - it takes about 30-45 minutes to do the entire car.
Lube 1/2 a fender then run the clay lightly over the surface. If the clay doesn't glide easily, use more lube. Dry the area with a towel, then run your fingertips lightly over he surface to make sure it's smooth. Repeat until the entire car is done. It's not really a big deal - I've never taken more than an hour to do a full car.
Stubby - you can find clay at Canadian Tire.
And yes, you can use it on windows

· Registered
225 Posts
Re: Clay Bar (stubbie)

light overspray with a good claybar can take as little time as 20 minutes. it is definitly a "miracle product" as far as i am concerned. much better than a 6 hour or more high speed buff job which would be needed to remove the overspray!i think it is a great concept. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: Clay Bar (jackimoe)

So basically you just spray some lube onto the area and rub gently with the clay? What about the Quick Detailer that starts to run off the car? (like when you are doing side panels).
What clay kits are you guys using?

· Registered
312 Posts

If you do a search on clay bars I am pretty sure there is a thread or two stating clay bars are hard on the clearcoat of our cars. I thought it was Ketch who brought it up. I have used Mothers but it is expensive and I hydroplaned the bar right off the trunk onto my shot asphalt drive. End of clay bar for me. It does make the suface smooth, but at a cost.

· Registered
225 Posts

I just clay bar'd my black gti this past weekend, and I am a true believer of the stuff. I used the Mother's CB and it was easy, and fast. It's not too expensive ($15 at Kragen), plus from the results I got, I think it's worth it. I followed with some IHG, and 2 coats of Blitz. There are NO swirl marks and NO viewable scratches that use to be there. I think the clay bar really helped prep the surface by removing all the nasty contaminants and the embedded grittiness on the paint. Everything else went on super easy and smoothly. Paint now feels sooooo smooth, like silk. I would buy and do it again. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Oh, and all the QD that ran off the car, I just let it an wiped it up later. No biggee. I also had a small amount of overspray and it took it al off! smooooth

[Modified by gtIRIE, 2:32 PM 12-13-2001]

· Registered
225 Posts
Re: Clay Bar (gtIRIE)

96 passat makes some good points. i would agree that is hard on the paint in a strange kind of way. however, if youthink this is rough, try looking at a compunded car beforethe swirls and compund scratches are removed! as always, the least abrasive or harsh method to do the job. and if that bar gets a contaminant in it, you are SOL. still, it is an important part of a detailers arsenal and like the high speed rotary, becomes comfortable to work with quickly. in competent hands, this is a highly effective product and one can have exceptional results with its use. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
203 Posts

Thanks for your help. I went out and bought a Mother's Clay Bar yesterday. I used it tonight and was expexting to see a clay flim on the windows. It was so easy to use and I will have to wait to see if it worked tomorrow when I go out in the rain. It has rained every day here but one in December.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.