VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For Clean Diesel Engine ... (SkyPup)

"First, while the industry sits and debates about whether the market is ready for diesels, Volkswagen went out and proved it is. Volkswagen has offered diesel versions of the Jetta, Golf and Beetle in the U.S. Last year, consumers bought them all. Every last one. Volkswagen dealers were forced to create waiting lists. When’s the last time you heard of a waiting list for a car under $25,000?"

"In a recent issue of Popular Mechanics, Jay Leno, perhaps one of the biggest car junkies in the world, wrote about our fuel options. In one paragraph, he said “I think the best alternative fuel is one we already have, but this country doesn’t want to produce: refined diesel fuel. For some reason, we don’t want to produce high-quality, commercially available desulphured fuel in this country.”

"Then again, people the likes of nuke, Diesel Demoan, and Bob1 and their dirty diesel loving peanut gallery are our main liabilities......

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For Clean Diesel Engine ... (SkyPup)

Counterpoint:

SkyPup et al. The unmodified TDI's here do not need a lower sulfur fuel to run properly, though we would all like to see the product-ULSD- widely available. Lets face it, the future of the diesel automobile, really this is what we are all interested in; as this engine is the most environmentally responsible when ALL is considered, depends on this adjustment. Having said this, can you imagine the negative impact to the world economy if everyone drove the VW diesel? Think about it, everyone going to an automobile that gets a minimum of 50 mpg, that is US miles per gallon Pup!
The 'new' technology, fuel swilling Euro diesels (those you lust after) need this sulfur adjustment, 'our' cars run fine and are the most fuel efficient of those anywhere, on the clean, high quality diesel fuel available to us here in the States.
Just where are all the posts citing fuel related problems?
The facts speak for themselves, sorry that this upsets you, but the truth can be unpleasant for some.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For Clean Diesel Engine ... (Bob1)

Counterpoint:
Bob1 does not need clean air to breathe or clean water to drink or a clean bed to sleep in or both his kidneys to clean the toxins out of his blood, but it would be nice if he could clean his act up.....

Bob1, you are welcome to wallowin the dirty pig sty all you want with as many swine as you feel comfortable with.....
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The TDI revolution has offically begun!

"First, while the industry sits and debates about whether the market is ready for diesels, Volkswagen went out and proved it is.
Volkswagen has offered diesel versions of the Jetta, Golf and Beetle in the U.S.
Last year, consumers bought them all.
Every last one.
Volkswagen dealers were forced to create waiting lists.
When’s the last time you heard of a waiting list for a car under $25,000?"

·
Registered
892 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]The TDI revolution has offically begun!
[HR][/HR]​
You been in a coma for nine years??? The TDI revolution began in the 1994 model year, when Ford introduced the first Powerstroke direct injection turbo diesel engine.

[Modified by Ric Woodruff, 8:47 AM 8-9-2002]

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For ... (Ric Woodruff)

Wake up Ric, you are still in a coma.....

Clean Diesel Engines and Clean Diesel Fuels are DRIVING the turbodiesel REVOLUTION

·
Registered
918 Posts
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For ... (SkyPup)

Forgive me for being so impertinent as to speak when the gods of the TDI forum are arguing, but I'm getting tired of reading you guys turn this forum into a flame fest.
You all seem to be yelling so loud you can't hear what each other are trying to say.
1) No, the NA 90HP TDI does NOT need ULSD/BIO, but it helps prevent smoke/sludged intake.
2) Euro high performance PD diesels will NOT run on our sludge fuel.
3) ULSD is good not intrinsically, but because it allows pollution controls not available without it.
4) The 150HP GT TDI is a guzzler compared to the 90HP TDI, but ITS A GT/GTI! Its not supposed to be an econobox!
5) I'm sure the 110HP PD running ULSD is a much better solution, fuel economy and fun wise than our 90HP unit.
There. Why can't we all just get along?

[Modified by AtomicSushi, 10:30 AM 8-9-2002]

·
Registered
892 Posts
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For ... (AtomicSushi)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Euro high performance PD diesels will NOT run on our sludge fuel.
[HR][/HR]​
We don't have "sludge fuel"; the inards of my fuel filter looked pretty decent after 40,000 miles (twice the recommended change interval), and they will run just fine on our diesel. Passing emissions testing is another story.
As far as forgiving you, I'll think about it, and get back with you.

[Modified by Ric Woodruff, 10:50 AM 8-9-2002]

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For ... (AtomicSushi)

Actually, it's quite normal for clean gods to have conversations with the dirty demoans, happens all the time....

·
Registered
918 Posts
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For ... (SilverjettaTDI)

I immediately regret opening my big mouth.
All I'm trying to say is that it seems like the point is being missed.
SP says :"Our fuel sucks because the PD won't pass emissions"
so someone else says "no it doesn't it runs fine in my car, and ULSD isn't any better, plus the trucks run fine on it." So, SP flames them and they flame him back.
What do I care..flame on, just don't miss the point.
ULSD/BIO isn't needed for the 90HP TDI, but it IS needed before the high output models can be sold here, and trucks don't count because of the higher emissions rules.
We don't have "sludge fuel"; the inards of my fuel filter looked pretty decent after 40,000 miles (twice the recommended change interval), and they will run just fine on our diesel. Passing emissions testing is another story.

By "run" I meant "can be sold" and I won't be able to pick one up from the VW dealer here in town until they can pass emissions on pump fuel, and that's all that really matters.

[Modified by AtomicSushi, 3:38 PM 8-9-2002]

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

LOL, no wonder we are not ready for HSDI passenger cars in North America.... too many dimwits here.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For ... (SkyPup)

quote:[HR][/HR]
LOL, no wonder we are not ready for HSDI passenger cars in North America.... too many dimwits here.
[HR][/HR]​
Been looking in the mirror again

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For ... (Briggs_Man26554)

We are all ready, but Diesel Demoan is not....
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

It sure is difficult to find any Premium Diesel Fuel in North America, one of the main problems with obtaining modern Clean Diesel Engines is not having modern Clean Diesel Fuel.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts

What really funny is that this debate is pointless. ULSD will be availalbe in the US in '06 so what's the point in arguing wether it should be brought or not. And it will be a shock in the auto indusrty. Unless other manufacturers step up in the meantime, european manufacturers will have a huge advantage in high quality/high performance diesel engines. Puting that aside, I don't pitty you americans.
Unless you pay 4$ for a gallon of gasoline, you'd never be able to really appreciate diesel engines.
j/k

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: Clean Diesels Are Ready For North America, But Are We Ready For Cle ... (Reflex5.5)

The single point that everyone seems to agree on is that ULSD should be in use everywhere.
Impartial testing has proven that the diesel fuel currently available here in the States is of very high quality with sulfur in the 300-400 ppm range, and that the US spec TDI runs very well on it, with no need for additional post pump additives.
This is the info which some refuse to accept, and never will, despite overwhelming evidence.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts