VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really know how it all started - but after some minor additions - it all snowballed - anyway - this is what it looked like before we started the clean up project.
The overall theme of the clean up project is OEM+ combined with a dash of motorsport influence.
More pictures of the pre part 1 work and the part 1 will follow over the next few days as we get underway

Modified by Golf Oem at 2:37 PM 12-25-2007

Modified by Golf Oem at 4:56 AM 11-6-2008

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Servo888)

Ouch - so that's where BMC got the idea for that design

More info on the BMC airfilters can be found here : http://www.bmcairfilters.com
I got the intake from BB Automobiltechnick (http://www.bb-automobiltechnik.de) where I also purchased a new intercooler and new seat brackets for the Recaro Pole Position seats.

I ordered the car with R32 seats but they did not provide the support I expected so they were ditched and replaced with Recaro Pole Position seats. I got a bit carried away so I ditched the rear seat in the process as well - that's when my wife and the kids got a bit
as this is my daily driver.

Modified by Golf Oem at 1:18 PM 12-27-2007

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First thing we did - and I owe Thomas (mr Clean) a big thank you (and a lot of $$$$) was to remove the noise pipe (as the majority on VWVortex do) - replaced it with the Audi A3 pipe.

Also replaced the firewall rubber gasket - to stick with the OEM look. Got one from a non-turbo MKV.

Modified by Golf Oem at 3:08 AM 12-26-2007

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leichtbau x 2 - I actually had to loose weight to be able to use the Recaro's .....

Anyway this is what kickstarted the part 1 :

Really no use in installing a new intercooler with that big air-condition radiator in front ? There was only one solution to this - ditch the aircondition. This decision raised a few eyebrowes
at the local VW dealer when Mr Clean took the car over for them to empty the air con.
Again Mr Clean came to my "rescue" - making jokes about the size of the battery and the location of the fuse panel - on the other hand who can disagree ? I "don't understand" why VW located the battery (19,4 kilos) so high in the car. And for the fuse panel - well - if it can be relocated - let's relocate it

Modified by Golf Oem at 11:03 AM 12-26-2007

Modified by Golf Oem at 3:06 AM 12-27-2007

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Re: (Golf Oem)

so now that your rockn recaros' how much do you want for your stock gti seats ? im down in italy and lookn for an excuse to drive somewhere anywhere roadtrip style

send me an instant message im verry interested.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (chickensushi)

The strut bar is from Wiechers (www.wiechers-sport.de).
According to Wiechers "Spritzwand muß an 2 Punkten verändnert werden"
I guess this mean that you have to modify the rain tray in one way or another - we ended up drilling a hole as this would give a more OEM look than cutting off a piece of the rain tray.
Truth is - Mr Clean asked for something to drink and when I got back he had this funny look on his face
- like something was broken.
Turned out he didn't want me around when he started drilling ...

Modified by Golf Oem at 11:23 AM 12-26-2007

·
Registered
5,748 Posts

Wow this is a cool project. Big FMIC! How is the car with the rear seats removed? Obviously it's probably louder, but does it seem just as structually strong with them out?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (g60_corrado_91)

I'm used to MKII's and compared to MKII's the MKV is structually very strong.
Did not notice any structual "weakness" after removing the rear seats. On the other hand I have not had the opportunity to really test it (before and after).
I expect that the roll cage and the rear strut brace will make up for the potential structual capability (and even increase it) of the back seats.
Now it's all about finding time to install it !

·
Registered
5,748 Posts

Good to know. That's one helluva daily driver.

I may remove my rear seats for next spring and summer for the track season since I don't usually have too many passengers anyhow.

1 - 20 of 464 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.