VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Cleaning piston and valves, free and easy?:: (jtmoe)

That guy did it already.. didn't you read it?

Raised compression to normal http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Slow1.8 at 11:40 AM 1-10-2004

· Banned
12,968 Posts
Re: Cleaning piston and valves, free and easy?:: (Slow1.8)

Yea it does work, if you blow a headgasket and water gets in the cylinder it does clean it, I've seen it a thousand times. The steam makes the carbon flake and fall of.

· Registered
68 Posts
This might explain why my internals on my car appear to be really clean for the mileage. I had a blown head gasket, and everyone thats looked at the pistons, ( the head is currently off ) has been surprised how clean they are.

· Registered
2,519 Posts
Re: (gonebored)

I used to drive the family Caravan for a while, and the headgasket blew. It was drinking more water than gas, and it all went out the tailpipe as steam. When we pulled the head, everything inside the cylinders and head was super clean. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Cleaning piston and valves, free and easy?:: (Back_yard_mechanic)

Quote, originally posted by Back_yard_mechanic »
I do it to every motor I get my hands on. Water injection systems do the same thing.

How much water do you use?

· Registered
333 Posts
Re: (1990Golf)

only a perfessional should clean your cylinders this way, as just a little too much water and you will hydrolock your engine.
Your head volume is 35 cc, in order to hydro lock your motor you would have to get more than 35 cc of water into at least one cylinder, in less than 2 revolutions of the motor.

· Registered
360 Posts
Re: (jtmoe)

it's very easy and effective. WI systems do the same thing with good results.
I noticed when I replaced the head on my 16v that the coolant softened up the carbon. When I first pulled the head the carbon was rock hard and caked to the piston. A bunch of coolant dumped into the cylinders (no I didn't drain the coolant
) and it was a month before I put the car back together. When I went to wipe up the coolant I noticied that the carbon was sludge-like and wiped off very easily. Because of that I had zero visible carbon in my engine when I put it back together.
I did the vacuum line into water trick on my 89 rx-7 (I didn't have cats on the car so I wasn't worried) and it bumped my compression up from 95 to about 105 psi. It also evened the numbers out a little. For those of you that don't know, rotaries have much different compression numbers. For my altitude with that engine 105 psi is really good.

· Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Back_yard_mechanic)

I asked the guy how exacty did you do it and he said.
"How did I do it?
Disconnect the AFM. Remove the rubber boot to expose the throttle body/plates. Start the engine & let the computer adjust, and let it fully warm up. I found the spary bottle with the finest possible mist to "atomize" or at least disburse the water into a fine mist. Just open the throttle & spray it in. it is hard because a slight throttle opening under no load revs the engine like mad so be careful to not spray too much at once. The car did not noticeably react to it, but I probably could not tell since it was running pretty badly w/o the AFM. Good luck!"
If you go back and read the last couple posts.

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Re: (jtmoe)

Hmmmm..... maybe I'm remembering wrong but...
1 millimeter is smaller than one centemeter...
There are 10 millimeters per centemeter...
Metrics would make no sense if that only applied to length measurements...
I'll find a link and be back.. I know I'm not wrong.

http://www.essex1.com/people/speer/large.html

centi = 0.01 of one metric unit
milli = 0.001 of one metric unit
A cubic milli -> meter is equal to a cubic milli -> liter
Thats the beauty of metrics so simple...

Modified by citat3962 at 3:40 PM 1-14-2004

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.