VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scrubbing mine out with a giant soft pipe cleaner type kitchen thing... but that kinda sucks and doesn't get all the break dust off.
I was curious what type of tool (and solution) would be recommended for cleaning out the Multi-spoke R32 wheel x 4, decently and quickly?
thanx

·
Registered
682 Posts
Re: Cleaning R32 Wheels (gabedibble)

Quote, originally posted by gabedibble »
I've been scrubbing mine out with a giant soft pipe cleaner type kitchen thing... but that kinda sucks and doesn't get all the break dust off.
I was curious what type of tool (and solution) would be recommended for cleaning out the Multi-spoke R32 wheel x 4, decently and quickly?
thanx

Yeah, the break dust is annoying. I hope there's a solution, but I guess you'll have to spend 5 minutes everytime you clean it. I use regular towels. I don't have any problem with the dust not coming off though. Try the towels.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

i've got an old washing sponge dedicated to the job, though it's really on its last legs at this point. i'm still just using water and i'm still able to get my wheels pretty darn clean. i've got a little pattern down that lets me get through all 60 spokes in a decent time, though it's still a pain.
i've got lots of little chips and nicks and such in my rims - i'm guessing it's because i've got a long pressed rock driveway with a lot of loose stuff and the rocks get kicked up like crazy by the tires - it's either that or my darn wheels are already pitting.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re: Cleaning R32 Wheels (amgvw)

Well you mentioned 60 spokes........I now have 120 spokes to clean as I picked up my r32 last week. I have the 32 and the 20th. I use a mild cleaner from Griots Garage and heavy spray. So far I have been able to keep up......just have to devote a day out of the week to clean 120 spokes. I know, I know....not going to get any simpathy here.......

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: Cleaning R32 Wheels (zenderrocco)

Quote, originally posted by zenderrocco »
Well you mentioned 60 spokes........I now have 120 spokes to clean as I picked up my r32 last week. I have the 32 and the 20th. I use a mild cleaner from Griots Garage and heavy spray. So far I have been able to keep up......just have to devote a day out of the week to clean 120 spokes. I know, I know....not going to get any simpathy here.......

Definetly jealous you have a 20th and an R32, but some wheel cleaner and some light sponging between the spokes then heavy spray will do it. Works for me, and my rims look brand new. Although I do have pitting from the brake dust, which sucks.
-Raj

·
Registered
275 Posts

i wax my wheels. i glop it on and only wipe off visible parts so there's a nice
thick layer. at the next wash the dust & dirt easily wash off.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Wheel brush from Walmart or auto store; or just use a thick sponge. Cleaning up is pretty easy with either one.
Lots of spokes, but just think how much money we're saving on tire dressing with these tires that don't have much sidewall?

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Pete, that's a good looking brush, but it looks like it might bo for aluminum wheels b/c of the abrasiveness.
If it isn't too harsh I guess it would be OK. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I use an old kitchen sponge that has that webbing stuff covering it. It takes a while, but it works pretty well and gets the dust off. I've been thinking of getting one of those Wal Mart wheel brushes though.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

A standard wheel brush, available at any PepBoys or similar store. Spray P21S and the brake dust is easily removed. Rinse the brush with water every so often.
IMHO, a sponge or cloth would be too cumbersome and time-consuming to get between the spokes.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Re: (Bill964)

Quote, originally posted by Bill964 »
Paint wheels black.

There ya go. Black never gets dirty.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Re: (Max Rebo)

I use a scuba tooth brush. Works wonders on getting into the wheels. Also very soft. I get them at the drug store.

·
Registered
384 Posts

I have a chenille wash mit that I use exclusively for my wheels. I've tried some non-caustic wheel cleaners, but they are only marginally better than my current solution which is a more concentrated car shampoo mixture. Waxing every few weeks makes a big difference. If you start to see any black spots building up on your wheels, its time for a clay bar. If you choose to use a wheel cleaner, be very careful that you do not use one containing caustic chemicals, as they'll cause your caliper paint to oxidize. It probably wouldn't be quite as noticable on your blue calipers as it is on my red ones, thanks to the dealership!

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Re: Cleaning R32 Wheels (vwaudienthusiast)

Quote, originally posted by vwaudienthusiast »
Spray wheel cleaner on wait 2 minutes and rinse off. Takes 80% off.

Add in a Karcher power washer from Costco $130 and it takes 99.9% off. Always wash the wheels when cold... don't even bother trying after even a few minutes of driving.
This power washer makes my wheel clean up less than 5 minutes and completely no-touch. Sometimes, maybe 1 out of 5 times, I need to use a brush for the nooks and crannies, but not usually.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Re: Cleaning R32 Wheels (3Dachs)

Quote, originally posted by 3Dachs »
I have a chenille wash mit that I use exclusively for my wheels. I've tried some non-caustic wheel cleaners, but they are only marginally better than my current solution which is a more concentrated car shampoo mixture. Waxing every few weeks makes a big difference. If you start to see any black spots building up on your wheels, its time for a clay bar. If you choose to use a wheel cleaner, be very careful that you do not use one containing caustic chemicals, as they'll cause your caliper paint to oxidize. It probably wouldn't be quite as noticable on your blue calipers as it is on my red ones, thanks to the dealership!

Exactly. That's why I like P21S for now. There's no harsh acidic compounds in there. The satin finish of the Aristos is delicate. Our old Saab 9-3 Viggen had the same type of finish on its wheels.
Oh, and clay bar rules.
I hafta use it on our S4's stock wheels. There's all kinds of poop stuck on that wheel cleaner and a brush would not remove. I tried a small section of one wheel and it worked. Once I swap our summer wheels on, I'll get movin'. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 35 Posts