VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of tarantula wheels that I'm going to mount winter tires on, but the back side of them have 20 years worth of baked on brake dust, grease and other assorted crud.
Any suggestions on how to clean that stuff off?
Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Cleaning the back side of wheels (ectonvw)

I'm cleaning some BBS RMs today... I'm using Simple Green and a wheel cleaning brush (plastic) and it seems to be coming off quite well so far. It IS a nasty job though.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Re: Cleaning the back side of wheels (kitchenware)

Quote, originally posted by kitchenware »
I'm cleaning some BBS RMs today... I'm using Simple Green and a wheel cleaning brush (plastic) and it seems to be coming off quite well so far. It IS a nasty job though.

If it's really tough use a soft(brass) Bar B Q brush http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Or go to a truck stop and see if they will clean them with acid,like they use on aluminum,It' works quite well

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Cleaning the back side of wheels (killerbunny84)

Here's what 10 minutes of Simple Green got me.

Yes, I'm aware of the ding/s.
I'm removing the lips today so that I can take them down and have them checked for balance (the wheels, not the lips, they're recycle material.
) and to have those dings lined out. Gotta make sure I have 4 good wheels before I order lips. That is... If Kodiak ever emails me back.
Having a hard time getting the lips off, but my wife isn't home and the oven is empty.

FWIW...
I used SG and a Bicycle Cassete cleaning brush (plastic bristle) on these.

Modified by kitchenware at 3:48 PM 12-17-2003

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Re: Cleaning the back side of wheels (RIONHOJ23)

Simple Green is about the harshest degreaser that you can use that won't discolor bare aluminum. Castrol Super Clean is alot stronger, but will discolor bare aluminum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts