VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a 2''*2'' section of clear that is peeling off of my hood. Its been there for sometime but now its serious. Theres also some coming off the stock grille. This is the original paint and clear all over...but only the clear is coming off. Any ideas why? What to avoid? What to do?

(Hasnt been pressure washed in 2 years so that is no the cause)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Clear Coat peeling (Guvs97JettaGT)

Got the same problem on my Memory Red 96 Trek up here in Winnipeg. I wish I had a solution for you, but I don't!!
I also have major stone chip problems on the grill.
How about you?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Clear Coat peeling (Ralphie)

OMG, my whole front end is plastered. With only 40,000 miles it theres enough rock chips for 150,000. My 1993 Sentra had fewer before it got a complete job. My grill is plaster with flaking clear from bugs too.

[Modified by Guvs97JettaGT, 5:05 AM 12-1-2001]

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

I feel your pain, Ive got the clear coat comming off on the roof portion of my hatch. I belive the only solution is to have it repainted. My car is a 95 so Im not to upset. Will only end up being like 350.00 to have the entire hatch repainted.

·
Registered
452 Posts

you all should call the VW customer assistance line. I work for one of the big 3 and people call all the time about clear coat and paint issues. Most of the time they get goodwill assistance from the company to get the sections repainted. Of course it depends on the model year and dealership history (maintenance etc). If the condition is identified as delamination, and if there are enough complaints, even a special policy for coverage of paint will be issued. Don't take no for an answer just because of the model year (older than 3 years). If the rep you talk to says no, escalate the issue to a supervisor or someone higher. You'll get something if you bitch enough

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Re: Clear Coat peeling (mexwagen)

i have it tto on the roof and hood of my black 95 jetta. on the roof its about 8"x12", ouch. the hood has 3 fist sized spots. my friend also has NO clearcoat on her entire roof! she has a gold 95 jetta. i gonna repaint it all soon

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Clear Coat peeling (pdxvento)

Yeah, the dealer will want to paint just the front end. Then I have a car that is 2 colors since its impossible to match the aging of the color even with all the 'lasers' on earth. Right now I would actually prefer cash reembusement for the cost of repair so I can get the loan paid off and just let my dad repaint it. He's the one that originally bought it and I think full original warrenties transfer in-family.

[Modified by Guvs97JettaGT, 4:02 PM 12-1-2001]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts