VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much work is involved in clearing the corners on a b6 ?
I'd really love to do the mod, rather than buy ecodes which i don't love 100% (don't like city lights)...
But don't you have to drill out the amber piece, and then that leaves a hole in your headlight casing ?

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
Re: Clear Corners (MB The Body)

imo its not worth opening the headlights to do this, the ambers arent that noticeable

·
Registered
465 Posts

i'd say just get the ecodes, don't cheap out and do the clear corner, because thats exactly what it ends up looking like, cheap. Do you really want visible holes in your headlights?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Re: Clear Corners (Jo2)

Quote, originally posted by Jo2 »
Do you really want visible holes in your headlights?

If done correctly, the holes will not be visible. Why pay $500 when you can get a similar effect for free?! If you aren't fond of the city lights, don't waste your money on ecodes. Take your time, do the job right...and by all means get someone to help you that's done it before. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
465 Posts
Re: Clear Corners (Silver_Wolf_96)

Quote, originally posted by Silver_Wolf_96 »

If done correctly, the holes will not be visible. Why pay $500 when you can get a similar effect for free?! If you aren't fond of the city lights, don't waste your money on ecodes. Take your time, do the job right...and by all means get someone to help you that's done it before. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I have yet to see one clear-corner job where holes aren't visible. Of course, feel free to prove me wrong...

·
Registered
763 Posts

How about these? They look pretty nice, don't they?
I'm about to get them. Waiting for the right price....
15% off might do it.
They will be available in january.

Modified by jazzman59 at 7:52 PM 12-11-2003

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Clear Corners (jazzman59)

I don't want ecodes cause I don't like the running city light... I had ecodes on order and cancelled right before they shipped cause I came to that conclusion...
But at the same time I don't like the results of the clear corner mod cause you end up with them looking funny, cause you see the part the amber used to clip into and its just kinda there...
So I guess its not worth the work...

·
Registered
465 Posts

the city light is only on when you turn your parking lights on, or your headlights, its not constant....unless of course you are vagged for day time running lights, it will probably run then.

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts

Hey MB...
If you get the eurolights, you can choose to either wire or not wire the city lights. You don't have to have them at all. It's a separate bulb in the housing, and if you never wire it up, then you have no problem. And as mentioned before, they only come on when you have just your parking lights on anyhow.
Just thought I'd let you know.
-Tim

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Clear Corners (SilverSLC)

ahhh I wish I knew that back when I ordered them...
yeah I always drive with my headlights on so they would've been on, but I didn't realize that i could simply not wire the city lights...
And now its too late cause my parents guilted me into realizing like 600 dollars for new headlights just for a clear corner is ridiculous, which i am kinda glad about cause its true...
sure they look nice, but thats so much money for just removing an amber piece of plastic...

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SilverSLC »
Hey MB...
If you get the eurolights, you can choose to either wire or not wire the city lights. You don't have to have them at all. It's a separate bulb in the housing, and if you never wire it up, then you have no problem. And as mentioned before, they only come on when you have just your parking lights on anyhow.
Just thought I'd let you know.
-Tim

thats not entirely true for the b6's although i'm sure there is some way you could wire it. The b6 ecodes are plug and play, no extra wiring for the citylights needed, they work from the get go. They replace the turn signals as parking lights.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Clear Corners (Jo2)

see that was my original impression... ive never seen ecodes on a b6 a4 where they didnt have city lights activated...

·
Registered
22,319 Posts
Re: Clear Corners (SabreVR6)

Quote, originally posted by SabreVR6 »
Then just pull out the city light bulb

Exactly what I was going to say. If you dont like the "city lights", as it's often called, then dont hook them up or leave the bulb out. How hard can it be?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Clear Corners (PerL)

then there is a hole in the headlight...
and by that token someone commented that doing the clear corners is ugly cause it leaves a hole

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MB The Body »
then there is a hole in the headlight...

Or you could just unplug the bulb and leave it in there.
That way, no city lights, and no hole.
And how often do people drive around with just the parking lights on, anyhow?
-Tim

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote, originally posted by SilverSLC »

And how often do people drive around with just the parking lights on, anyhow?

city lights go on with the headlights, not just as parking lights...

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts

Yeah, but I guess I figured that with the headlights on, it would kinda be a moot point, but if that's not what you want, then I get what you're saying.

Still, though... and I don't mean to be a pain... you could just unplug the city light bulb from the wiring harness.
But this is all a hijack of the original topic anyhow, and since I don't know squat about clearing the corners on a B6, I should just shut up!

-Tim

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

ha, well i kinda don't know a thing about clearing the corners either... i just know that it seems to be a pain after reading the audiworld tech article

1 - 20 of 20 Posts