VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, i'm new to the vortex, I just purchased a 93 SLC 2 weeks ago. I'm ready to get working.
One thing i've really noticed (as my forum searching has revealed - so does everybody else) is that the US OEM headlights SUCK. I have to drive with my brights on to see anything.
So, one of my first upgrades will be headlights.
I've noticed what appear to be absolutely clear lenses on euro headlights. Like below.

Regular euro lenses have diffusive/reflective lenses. Like this.

Can you buy the clear lenses? Where do you get them?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've never seen those before, they look HOT! I too am interested in those suckers now. Although, it looks like someone might have just cut out a piece of lexan and done some modifying.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Re: Clear Lenses on Euro Headlights? (PorpShow)

My first guess would be Home Depot. Buy the plexi or polycarbonate, trace the euro's lenses, cut them out, and modify 'em to fit, if needed.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Re: Clear Lenses on Euro Headlights? (markymark420)

yes you make them, that is Mike's (shinnyG60's car)
Keep in mind, your beam patter is determined by the lense. You remove the lense and put a clear one in it's place you are not going to get anywhere near the quality, focused light of the Ecode.... Not to mention glaring light for oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Re: Clear Lenses on Euro Headlights? (markymark420)

Putting a clear lens on the euro light will totally destroy it's function. The euro lens has lines on it for a purpose and that's to create a beam pattern and put the light down on the road. Putting a clear lens on will create glare and the light is not going to be directed on to the road but instead blind on coming traffic. It's a very non functional mod to do. It may look good but that's another story.

Modified by zarman at 7:22 PM 2-12-2004

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
the ones on the blue raddo are euros, those are the best way to go. The lenses are clear save for the beam pattern mentioned above

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Clear Lenses on Euro Headlights? (zarman)

Zarman, Did you make lexan/plexi lenses for your custom headlight job? I'm considering a custom headlight setup myself.(although it'll be different than yours)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PorpShow »
Zarman, Did you make lexan/plexi lenses for your custom headlight job? I'm considering a custom headlight setup myself.(although it'll be different than yours)

Ill answer for him.. YEP
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Re: Clear Lenses on Euro Headlights? (sickvr666)

Quote, originally posted by sickvr666 »

Ill answer for him.. YEP
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Thanks, if you were only able to answer ALL of my headlight question that would be very kind of you. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

But i didn't use lexan. I used lucite tuff which is not as tolerable to high heat as lexan. But it's fine for running projectors. Not so good for halogen.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Zarman, did you need to make your lenses/housing sealed and waterproof? (like stock lights) Or do the projectors you used not need to be sealed in?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Those headlight suck on the red car...what a loser. Lights probally dont even work at night.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts

I just want the black background. My car isn't black enough yet.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Re: Clear Lenses on Euro Headlights? (Cheshire_Cat)

someone stop that guy from breaking into that corrado!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Re: Clear Lenses on Euro Headlights? (cramer)

Quote, originally posted by zarman »
Putting a clear lens on the euro light will totally destroy it's function. The euro lens has lines on it for a purpose and that's to create a beam pattern and put the light down on the road. Putting a clear lens on will create glare and the light is not going to be directed on to the road but instead blind on coming traffic. It's a very non functional mod to do. It may look good but that's another story.

I asked Mike about these at the Great CDN last year and he said that he hasn't noticed any real difference in the ability of the headlights to throw the beams. Of course he couldn't answer about glare for oncoming traffic. That being said, I agree with you. One of the best features of the euro's are the little light "spikes" (I don't know the actual term) that the lens throw off to the right at about a 45 degree angle. The whole point is to provide a beam that's very focused on the road ahead but also lights up road sign's without blinding other drivers. Go to a clear lens and you lose that. The euro's of course don't through as nice a beam pattern as a true HID system, but unless you got the time, money, and skills to fabricate lights like Zarman's euro's are the best thing going. Even with the diffusers, the lens are still very clear looking.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Re: Clear Lenses on Euro Headlights? (Shinny_G60)

Quote, originally posted by Shinny_G60 »
Those headlight suck on the red car...what a loser. Lights probally dont even work at night.

I really hope that is your car or your joking
.... Those lights are HOT http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

Quote, originally posted by zarman »

Modified by zarman at 7:22 PM 2-12-2004

zarman has spoken
my words before me http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts