VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**** READ THIS******** READ THIS******** READ THIS****
Every thread on this forum that has anything to do with HPA motorsports quickly becomes polluted with the same recycled quality vs price flame war. Keep that out of my build thread. This is a technical discussion. Thank you.

After much anticipation my turbo kit arrived in the mail. This is the last piece of the puzzle for me to begin my garage built R32T project. I've been researching, saving, and otherwise preparing for this for the better part of a year. The only thing left is to take some vacation time, start a build thread, and get to work.

Bit of background:
My car:

Obviously a MKIV R32. 95% mechanically stock car. The only exceptions are a HPA short shifter,flapper mod, blistein PSS9 coilovers, Hawk brake pads, OZ superleggras, and Hancock ventus evo tires. I bought my R about a year ago. I wasn't planning on buying a r32, I was looking for a STI when a friend of mine convinced me to test drive an R32 (Ironically he ending up buying an STI a few months later and has had nothing but problems with it). *When I bought my car I bought it to turbo it.

Me: I'm an industrial mechanic for a living. I have been modifying cars since I was 16. I started by lifting my '86 ranger. Then putting a CAI on my *gasp* '00 civic. Had a 85 v8 econoline shagging wagon complete with futon in the back. After a grew up a bit I got a '91 MR2 turbo. I built the sweet Jesus out of that thing. Big turbo. Big boost. Spun a rod bearing. Then I ended up getting Tc for a commuter. I traded that in for a R.

This is not intended to be a step by step instruction manual for installing this turbo kit. This is ment to be an overview of my experience installing, using, and further modifying it. I will try to cover the finer points in usable detail to help anyone else who is atempting this. Any feedback is appreciated.*

Helpful links:
DIY Clutch replacement http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4045505
Mkv build thread (Pic heavy) http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ndenVW-s-.-R32-Thread-20th-Installation/page6

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Preparation

Parts:
Turbo kit
Clutchmasters Fx400 clutch and tob
NLS slave cylinder shim kit
Turbosmart Eboost 2 street boost controller (installed)
New MAF sensor ( installed)
Coilpacks (installed)
Spark plugs
Acc Belt
Fluids (oil, coolant, gear oil, brake fluid, pb blaster, antisieze, thread lock, copper head gasket spray, degreaser, brake cleaner)
Specialty tools
Green Top Coolant temp sensor (installed)
Tune up and inspect

Over the last few months I have given my R a relentless tune up and inspection to make sure it is turbo ready. Installed updated coilpacks, a new MAF sensor, and the green top temp sensor. I've also mounted and wired in my boost controller. One less thing to do when installing the kit. New tires and a brake inspection. Most of my hoses are new. The only issue that I'm worried about are my cats. They seem like the original California cats.

Special tools:
Basic mechanic tool set
Triple square drive bits
All Tools listed in the DIY clutch write up
Star bits, security bits, safety bits, spline bits, ect
O2 sensor wrench

Things left to get
DI water
torque wrench
Wire loom
Intercooler fluid (I'm not sure what I'm going to use, I was thinking npg+)
Exhaust manifold gasket
Exhaust manifold studs and nuts

Things I could use help on:
What fluid should i use for the IC. I want the densest non-flamable liquid that the pump can handle. All the surfaces it touches are aluminum so I can use just about anything. Npg+? 50/50 alc and water? G12? Suggestions?
Any special tools needed to pull the engine and head that I don't have listed?
How do I post pictures from an iPad?

I'm tired of typing for now much more to come.*

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
^^^ Ugh, are u being sarcastic, all tge guy wants is to share his build ratger than this become a " y is HPA" overpriced argument .

Criticism is one thing. Arguing what company is better is just a **** show

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

Good thing for you, I like HPA.. But seriously, will be watching this

I would def rock a HPA turbo kit!

I know each kit is well designed and tested by Marcel himself.

Watching!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
486 Posts
We are using 50/50 water/g12 for the supplied radiator. Knowing what I know now about the different types of platforms for this kit, your's should be pretty simple--or at least strait forward. So far so good on my thread, no loser HPA haters on it. After taking a look at the new intake manifold installed and cool it runs with the radiator, I think it's easy to justify. The turbo assembly itself is a work of art as well.

Take your time, take lots of before pictures, label EVERYTHING (wires etc), use plastic bags to store screws etc (oops, where did that little tiny outside air temp sensor go?)... Keep your workplace clean and organized... PowerCoat some things while you can...

Buy a heat laser! Know the temperature of everything PRIOR to tearing it apart. Be sure your cooling system is working properly now (after run pump, etc...).. These will be far more important when you get a glowing red hot turbo in there...

Replace tensioners and other cheap parts while you are in there.. Clean everything like you were going to eat off of it...

Inventory everything according to the packing list...

Have the Bentley manual handy.... I have the electronic copy and it's a good idea.

Timing is tricky, have HPA guide you through it. They supply the longer chain and lower compression, so it's proprietary to their process.

PM with any questions...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good constuctive feedback. Me gusta. :)

My plan was to just install the turbo kit/clutch and try to minimize the amount I take on at once. I wanted to just get in and get out.

After some thought, that is retarded. I may never pull the engine again. So I ordered a bunch of matience parts:

Lower timing chain
Upper and lower chain rails and tensioners
New exhaust mani studs and nuts
New pressure plate bolts
Assorted o-rings for the cooling system
And a few other things odds and ends

Cost is becoming the limiting factor. Everything else I want to do can wait. Im planning on pulling the valve cover later on and getting some things powder coated. That should be the perfect time to get everything else tuned up.

Im taking some vacation time in the middle of September. I think two weeks should be plenty to get this installed.

That heat laser idea is pretty clever. I would have never thought of that. Might just have to borrow a pyrometer from work.

Left to do:
Get DI water
Get wire loom
Get parts in mail

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some random thoughts:
With a turbo blowing directly into the throttle body I don't need the tb coolant lines anymore...
There is no way that my car can pass emissions anyways...
Maybe I can use a tiny heat exchanger cooled by the aux cooling system to get rid of that stupid power streering line in front of the radiator...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A little bit of an update

So when my turbo kit arrived it sat on my porch for a dewy morning. The results arent pretty

I cleaned it up with some 400 then 800 then 1000 grit. I didnt want to use a scotch pad because there is no way I could keep the surface perfectly flat the same way that I could with a sanding block. I think it turned out alright

Anyways, I'm still not 100% on this spacer. I think I'm going to use some copper sealant on the spacer just to make sure that this thing doesn't leak or blow.

Normally there are three sealing surfaces with mls gaskets: the block to the lower gasket, the lower gasket to the upper gasket, and the upper gasket to the head. Mine is going to be the block to the 1st gasket, the first gasket to itself, the first gasket to the copper layer, the copper layer to the spacer, spacer to the copper layer, copper layer to 2nd gasket, 2nd gasket to itself, 2nd gasket to the head. That is a lot of surface area for something to go wrong. I think I just have to scrutinize all the layers. Also, contrary to the Bentley, Im going to have to retourque the head studs after the copper layers heat up and become more malleable.

Lesson learned. Store the spacer in the house not the garage and don't leave your turbo kit on the porch for any length of time. :D

Other than that I cleaned up all the machined parts. The tiny bits of metal shavings from the taps, smoothed all the little bits from the lathes, ect. I'm got the last of my bits and I'll probably pull the engine Monday.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good luck on your install,:) I order my HPA kit last week Audi TT MK1 3.2, so I have eight weeks to wait for it to be delivered.

I know the kit comes with a new a set of OEM head bolts I was thinking about upgrade to the RaceWare head bolts, any thoughts?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wow, I really think the money can be used better elsewhere.... (than bolts)... I'd say this, save your money and just get the install going... I assure you, you will find a way to spend more money during that process..

1 - 20 of 202 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.