VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am driving my car and turn the steering wheel, sometimes I hear a clicking noise... it only happens when the car is moving... it doesnt sound that loud on the inside... but if i put the window down it sounds alot louder outside....and it usually happens when im turning left
...can anyone help??
Thanks

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Re: clicking noise while turing ??? (bigger dub)

Try and do a search. I know a lot of people have had a similar problem. My car used to clunk when I made a turn and went from a stop, but I'm not sure if my 'clunk' is the same as your 'click.'

·
Registered
5,763 Posts

there goes your CV joint, if you turn right does it make noise at the left or left turn noise on right? where ever you turn it, it shifts the weight to that wheel.

[Modified by atoson, 9:11 AM 3-19-2003]

·
Registered
284 Posts

I have the same problem, but it's more of a clunk when I turn left (only about 25% of the time). Didn't have it before we had to drop my subframe and put it back in. I think something settled funny
Have been meaning to take a peek, but haven't yet. Hope someone has a good possible reason for it

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: clicking noise while turing ??? (atoson)

quote:[HR][/HR]if you turn right does it make noise at the left or left turn noise on right? where ever you turn it, it shifts the weight to that wheel.[HR][/HR]​
when im in the car it sounds like its coming from the steering wheel... but when i put down the window it sounds like its coming for the left side of the car... and it doesnt make a noise when i turn right

·
Registered
306 Posts

I have heard this from a tie rod end or a CV shaft. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Re: clicking noise while turing ??? (JettaGLS00)

It sounds like your CV boot is blown, get it fixed asap so you don't have to replace the whole joint. Also, if you procrastinate your steering will eventually go out on you!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Re: clicking noise while turing ??? (Scrampa1.8T)

mine's makes that noise too but it's not that bad yet! no money to fix right now so.............

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Re: clicking noise while turing ??? (good stuff)

quote:[HR][/HR]mine's makes that noise too but it's not that bad yet! no money to fix right now so.............[HR][/HR]​
The boot itself should roughly be around $40. You're better off to do the replacement yourself if at all possible; labor will rape you!

-Brian

·
Registered
5,763 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]it doesnt make a noise when i turn right[HR][/HR]​
it's your right outer (outboard) CV joint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts