VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past few months there has been a clicking sound whenever I let go of the accelerator pedal from what sounds like the driver side. It happens probably 90% of the time I press the gas pedal. In between shifts, all the time. I can be in gear, blip the gas, and it clicks every time. The only times it does not make the sound is if I press the gas so it clicks, or I shift, and then I give the pedal a small amount of pressure.

It is really strange, because it went away for a couple of weeks and is back again. There is no click if I have the clutch engaged and I rev though :(

Now here is the kicker...I hear the click when I open the driver side door. Thing is, it only happens after the car has been off (ie havent opened the door) for a few hours or something; I havent really timed it...

I noticed this a couple of days ago. I opened the door today and it clicked, so I got in and closed it, partially and completely, and I didnt hear the click; only happens for that first door opening I guess.

So wtf, has anyone else had this thing? It doesnt seem to be harming the car, but it is very annoying. I figured something was loose, or maybe the throttle cable is hitting something. But dont our cars have electric throttle control so no cable?

I have an 02 1.8t GTI btw

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joint or just the boot? How hard is it to replace the boot?

Could it be my strut mounts? I am pretty certain they are bad anyways...lots of creaking while turning. I have new mounts, just waiting on my dam ksport coils to arrive though :/

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
i have no clue what you just said from my understanding it doesn't make the noise when it makes the noise

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
That would be your CV joint dude. I would be 99% sure that the boot is torn so you would have to take off the axle and inspect the insides of the boot (the actual joint) for wear and markings. As long as you catch it soon enough you shouldnt have to replace the joint, just the boot and grease it up real good.

As for the strut bushings/bearings they dont last for very long and i would recommend changing them every 60,000 miles or so because i have had squeeky steering a few times now and it cures it right away. Plus it is a really cheap fix and you can inspect all the other parts of your suspension/steering at the same time :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i think I might try to fix it this weekend. What exactly do I need? Is it most likely the drivers side (since its coming from there)? Should I try and just do both?

On the faq/diy

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3344208

it says I need a "8mm or 10mm 12 point triple square bit"

Whats that?

Do I just need the kit from ecs?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Drivetrain/Driveshaft/

Inner or outer? Should I buy one for both sides? Which is the best one? (crp, reyn, or meyle)

How do I know if it is blown or not? I am currently looking at them and they all seem intact. I also dont see any dark grease spots anywhere.

Maybe its something else?

It was weird, today it would stop clicking, until I gave about half throttle, than it came back for a few clicks, and went away again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Could be your tranny if it only happens when the clutch is engaged. My car clicked for a few days then my tranny gave and had to replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I mean your original post makes no sense, but sounds like the cv and when its not that bad, it will go away and come back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts