VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Epilogue

I bought my 1991 B3 16v wagon (quickly named Clifford by a buddy) two years ago for $200. My original intention was to purchase it solely for parts, but upon seeing it and taking it for a short drive I realized that it was for from parts-only use. It had a rebuilt engine, new clutch, brakes, wheel bearings, etc. The body was in pretty damn good shape for a 19-year old car with 350,000km. It started on the first try, so I bought it on the spot without even bothering to haggle. Two days later several of us took it down to Pacific Waterland in Oregon. That was kinda sketchy, since I had no idea what kind of condition it was really in. Fortunately nothing went wrong, so I decided to keep it for a winter beater and sell it in the spring. Two years later I still own it and have never had any really problems or put any money into it - it's been too damned reliable. Up until about two months ago, I was into it for about $600, which included coils, some basic maintenance, and the purchase price.

That all changed recently. :rolleyes:

The day I bought him - so stock!

Money starts getting spent

Having lowered Clifford with a set of Raceland coils last summer for $250, I decided that he needed some rims. After spending some time browsing the Internetz, I decided on a staggered set of Kerscher Carmonas, 16x7.5" and 16x9" wrapped in Falken 512 205/40/16 all around. That satisfied me for a while, but I wanted to do more to Clifford. By this time I had a 2003 Audi all road 2.7T 6MT as a daily, but it was just too much car for me, so I decided to sell it and put some of the money towards the B3. First thing I thought that it needed was some more "go", so I began researching several engine swaps. I didn't want to do a VR6/VRT, so I settled on a 1.8T.

I picked up a complete AEB from a '99 Passat with all accessories, manifolds, harness, etc. for an amazing price; and began tearing it down immediately.

Freshly pulled 1.8T, waiting to be torn down:

Tear down begins:

Tear down complete:

I began ordering parts for essentially a complete rebuild - all gaskets, seals, bearings, intake valves, rings, oil pump, pistons, every ABA coolant hose, water pump, etc. All the rebuild parts were OEM German.

I only took 3 or so pics during reassembly. I had almost all of the parts and assembled 95% of it in a day, and I didn't want to break my pace with stopping, cleaning up, and taking pics. I decided to go with Audi TT225 (AMU) intake and exhaust manifolds and K04-022 turbo for a bit more power than the stock, small AEB K03. :D

Cleaned and painted block waiting to be bored out:

Head cleaned, re-assembled and waiting to be installed:

ABA accessory bracket, accessories, and head bolted up:

Swap begins

With WaterWerks fast approaching, this past Friday I drained all the fluids, removed the front end, disconnected everything, and pulled the 16v.

Very dirty engine bay:

Good bye, faithful 16v - you've served me well. :heart:

After spending about 5 or so hours removing all the wax, scrubbing the engine bay clean, and painting some parts, the tranny was ready to be installed and the 1.8T put into the bay.

I was worried that there wouldn't be much room around the turbo, but it turned out that there was plenty of room. :D

For the next several days I played around with the coolant hoses and wiring, getting everything sorted as best as I could, and to my liking.

How the bay looks as of tonight:

The wiring is 95% done, I just need to extend, route, and wrap a few auxiliary wires. The charge piping will be done this coming week, and I should have it back Thursday evening. :)

Big thanks (in no real order) to:

Euro Wrench Werks for getting me the majority of the parts, all at fantastic prices, and my BFFs Cam, Sean, Dan, Wang, and Grace. :beer: :laugh:

There's still a lot more that I have planned for Clifford, namely different seats, black headliner, and some body work. All in due time, I suppose. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Why not rebuild and build up the 16v and turbo that??
You can get serious power and its origional.. but if you don't care for that then the 1.8t is a great motor to swap in.. would be my. Second motor choice

On a side note your "bffs" name is wang?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not rebuild and build up the 16v and turbo that??
You can get serious power and its origional.. but if you don't care for that then the 1.8t is a great motor to swap in.. would be my. Second motor choice

On a side note your "bffs" name is wang?
Eh, jut adding a turbo to the 16v would've been boring and not all that much of a change. How many 16v B3s do you see versus 1.8T B3s? Power was never a goal of the swap. Plus the AEB ECU is much more tuneable.

Wang is his nickname. :)

really good work man. youll be happy with that 1.8t. better than the old 16v.
throw in some more pics of the side of the car! :)
Why thanks! Here's two pics of his current stance, pre rear camber and flushness:

You need to roadtrip that thing to Edmonton on August 20th for the local End of Summer VW show.

:thumbup:
I totally would, but that's just a bit too far for me - Pacific Waterlands is the farthest I'm going this year. Perhaps next year! :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so this is what my fogs will be going on? :laugh::beer:
car looks good, super clean!
Yessir! Just got them tonight, I thought you were going to clean them before mailing them? :p

have you installed the amber side repeatrers i sent yet?
Not yet, I need figure out how to keep them attached in the fender.

the wagon with headlightwashers is the biggest of them all. i think it is like 11lts of fluid ... :eek:
It's 9 litres - the're no difference between the wagon and sedan bottles.

lol.. that thing needs to go now!! epic washer fluid, never runs out!
I wanted to keep the 9 litre bottle - I love the headlamp washers. :D

Wow, beautiful wagon! Grr this makes me want a B3 even more now :mad:
Thanks man!

Thanks for all the compliments, people!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok so I didn't even know this was possible... what doesn't and doesnt bolt in from the original 16v? Are all the mounts the same? Does the exhaust bolt up?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I didn't even know this was possible... what doesn't and doesnt bolt in from the original 16v? Are all the mounts the same? Does the exhaust bolt up?
It's pretty simple really. Pretty much any Volkswagen 4-cylinder will install into another Volkswagen, and the engines will bolt to any 4-cylinder transmission. I used the stock engine mounts. Obviously the exhaust is different due to the turbo - and why would you want to use the stock exhaust anyways. I made a custom 3" downpipe that goes to a 2.5" exhaust with nothing but a quiet, free flowing muffler at the back.

My particular setup is a mixture of 5 or so engines. AEB engine and management, AMU (TT225) manifolds and K04 turbo, ATW ignition system, ABA accessories and coolant hoses, 9A mounts, rad, oil pan and PCV system, and some misc pieces from others (TD oil filter flange).

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Good job and good save on that wagon. I wish that the ABA swap in my Syncro would be that easy.

FYI, the sedans with the headlight washers are 8L, the wagons are 9L and the non-headlight versions are just 5L

·
Banned
4,489 Posts
that is why i said the wagon with the canadian headlight washer nozzles is the biggest of them al.

i have not instaled the min my sedan project yet.
but i wan in quebec for 2 weeks 3 years ago driving the b3; every 2 days i had to clean the grime of the lenses because i could not see more than 10 feet in front of me.
to come out of a warmed up interior to minus 20 or minus 30 degrees; is not fun.
so i thank vw for those.
too bad new cars can not get them.
this is another reason why i love the b3 cars...:heart:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.