VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic says: I got into my car this morning and turned the lights on and the lights around the climate control knobs wasn't functioning. When I hit the recirculate button or the a/c button- they light up but the control knobs don't. I haven't checked the fuses but i think that might be the case.
This happen to any of yall?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Climate lights out-this happen to anybody? (katphishcatfish)

There's a small bulb behind the fan speed knob (the center one).
It shouldn't be burnt out on a new car, but it may be loose.
Try removing the fan knob and pushing the bulb in with a Q-tip or some other kind of probe.
If that doesn't help, see the dealership.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Climate lights out-this happen to anybody? (catbert430)

It happened to me in my '99. If I hit that area with my hand it lit up a few times but it finally wouldn't light. Dealer fixed it by replacing it, but not sure what was wrong. That got fixed but I gained a sqweak in the dash - so make sure you pay attention to that when you pick it up.

·
Registered
69 Posts

It seems to be common problem. The lightbulb is less than $2, but getting it out of its socket is kinda hard. Use plyers and a cloth to slowly pull the center nob off and you can see the bulb.
Mine went out after about 1.5 years. I would have replaced it myself, but it was soon service time, so I let them do it since I would ahve needed chewing gum to get at it.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Same thing happened to me over the weekend. I didn't realize how much I missed that light until it was out. I've never had a light in any of the controls go out in any car I've owned. I'm bringing it to my dealer's attn.

[Modified by msudie, 6:52 PM 4-15-2002]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Climate lights out-this happen to anybody? (EDO)

Just happened to me yesterday. I can sometimes turn knobs to an fro and it will come back on. Went out last niht for good I am afraid. What's the fix? Is it definitely the bulb? The fan speed know just pulls straight off revealing the bulb?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Climate lights out-this happen to anybody? (VEEDUBZ)

My even bigger problem is that I have the Joshua Tree Woodtrim kit and theres wood over those controls. Do you think I need to pull off the woodtrim? How do I do that? Adhesive remover?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.