VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Climatronic is acting up on my 2003 EV. Not sure if that’s the cause but before summer last year, by heater core started leaking and I replaced it myself. But now with the cold weather I noticed that it’s acting up. While the car is warming up and the climatcronic is switched off, warm air is coming from the vent (I guess in summer I didn’t realize it and thought its warm outside). Once the engine is warm, I usually switch the fan on to blow warm air through the vents – nice hot air is coming out. I’ve put the climatronic to 70F. Hot air runs for a while and suddenly I get real cold air coming in. I have to increase the climatronic to nearly 80F just to have warm air coming in although I don’t think it reached the first target. The back heater core is always running nice and warm.
If I don’t change the temp setting on the climatronic, first it blows warm/hot air, then really cold air and comes back after a while (meaning at least ½ hour later).
Also, my car takes forever that the temp gauge comes to operating temp. Since I get hot air even with the climatronic switched off, is there a valve in the cooling circuit that does not shut?
Any ideas?!?

·
Registered
319 Posts
My Climatronic is acting up on my 2003 EV. Not sure if that’s the cause but before summer last year, by heater core started leaking and I replaced it myself. But now with the cold weather I noticed that it’s acting up. While the car is warming up and the climatcronic is switched off, warm air is coming from the vent (I guess in summer I didn’t realize it and thought its warm outside). Once the engine is warm, I usually switch the fan on to blow warm air through the vents – nice hot air is coming out. I’ve put the climatronic to 70F. Hot air runs for a while and suddenly I get real cold air coming in. I have to increase the climatronic to nearly 80F just to have warm air coming in although I don’t think it reached the first target. The back heater core is always running nice and warm.
If I don’t change the temp setting on the climatronic, first it blows warm/hot air, then really cold air and comes back after a while (meaning at least ½ hour later).
Also, my car takes forever that the temp gauge comes to operating temp. Since I get hot air even with the climatronic switched off, is there a valve in the cooling circuit that does not shut?
Any ideas?!?
Either your heater flap isn't closing all the way, or, like many of us, the foam that once covered the flap has long since disintegrated and the air is no longer forced through the heater core as it should be.

see this thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7008991-2002-Eurovan-No-Heat&p=101896097#post101896097

As for the valve; the part labeled #22 on post #17 (cooling diagram) of that thread is a valve that opens with vacuum and springs shut. It cuts off coolant flow to your front heater core. If this valve is functioning correctly, and both supply and return lines to your heater core are hot, then the culprit is likely the flap as previously described.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
still acting up

when I did my heater core I followed the thread you mentioned. I didn't make it as nice as described but I put aluminum tape on the flaps.

When is this valve #22 closing? When I start the engine, I get immediately a vacuum there which operates the valve. If there is vacuum on the valve, is it closed or open? So the valve seems to be working - I just wonder at what point should a vacuum be there on the valve?

On our last ski trip (we are on an every other weekend schedule), it did it again. First it blows nice hot air through all the vents, and (it seems like) when it reaches a certain temperature, it shuts off and only cold air get's blown in. I can kinda hear a flap moving before cold air comes in. I am thinking that the climatronic gives a wrong command to a flap (or to the #22 valve?) - or a flap is hooked up wrong around (if that's possible)?!?
... or the thermocouple in the control unit is broken, or the climatronic is broken by itself?!?

I read about this little fan that blows cabin air onto a thermocouple in the climatronic - but that was for AC (cold) problem. I'll take a look if the fan is dirty and hope that'll do the trick. That's my only idea right now.

Any thoughts??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.