VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clutch won't Release

Daily driver.
1981 VW 020 FF 5 Speed. 1981 VW Pickup
Clutch cable moves arm on transmission, but clutch won't release. Adjust till pedal max, Even at max arm movement, clutch still won't release. Getting only partical clutch release. Cable is good.
Problem occured after routine backing up. At that point truck went into reverse as normal. Parked.
Next day, would not go into 1st, or any gear. Clutch is dragging.
--internal to tranny.
--good one day, won't release the next day.
--Cable won't adjust.
--No leaks, mounts fine. Synthetic.
--Tranny shifts fine after started in gear. Syncronizers allow up and down shift and neutral.
--Problem isolated to clutch internal linkage.
Anyone experience anything similar on 020 tranny?
Wayne

Modified by DogDiesel at 7:09 PM 8-22-2008

· Registered
13,630 Posts
Re: Cllutch won't Release (DogDiesel)

Quote, originally posted by DogDiesel »

Anyone experience anything similar on 020 tranny?

Yep

Start by checking the actuation finger behind the green end cap, check it for splits or cracks which will allow it to slip around the splined shaft of the release arm on the trans.
If that is OK, check the TO bearing, and pushrod, and if those are OK, pull the trans, as the problem is in the clutch parts. Broken PP finger, broken clutch disc spring, punctured release plate are all possible and would cause the clutch failure you are describing.
My site is dead at the moment for some reason, but when it comes up, I have a Release Arm page on there which might help you troubleshoot what's going on. The link to the site is in my signature http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Clutch won't Release (Broke)

Broke,
Already research your site. While I haven't pulled the cap, I am getting partical release. Suspect the bearing come apart. While I have not heard noise, I have ground a few times in Rev (last month or so). I think the tranny has nearly 160K and most of them I put on it. No abuse.
Do you have a .071 gear set. Talked to you earlier. My FF has .76.
I need to get it back on the road.
I had started collecting parts for 02A conversion, but all I really need is taller OD for FF. The FF upgrade to .071 will cost me less in the long run.
Send me an email if you have the OD gears.
Wayne

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Cllutch won't Release (Broke)

Instead of killing two birds with one stone, I have plenty stones, and in the end there won't be any transmission clutching birds left when I get thru.
Pulled the cap, and I am getting action on the finger. Ultimately, I see I have to pull the transmission. I know I have put 160K or so on it, and since it is 020 FF without the tall OD, it goes.
I am going back with a 020 hybrid, 3:67 ring and pinion vs 3: 89 and .071 OD. I net about 7% more OD and drop 2000-2500 RPMs.
I really miss my little truck. Have to drive my big truck with cummins and holy moley, in the amount of fuel I am putting in my tank, I can buy new tranny and PP/CL in no time on my daily 136 mile commute for my CADDY.
Gonna use this as an opportunity to upgrade and perfect my little truck. I think I can factually break the 50 MPG barrier. been getting 45-46 every tank, and last two fillups were 49.6MPG. Dang it just shy of 50. Its about RPM. An mine were too high.

· Registered
13,630 Posts
Re: Clutch won't Release (DogDiesel)

Quote, originally posted by DogDiesel »
Do you have a .071 gear set. Talked to you earlier. My FF has .76.

My memory is shot, so I apologize for not recalling speaking to you about it.
I have just come across a 0.711 set, I've sent you an email

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Clutch won't Release (Broke)

Broke,
It was the clutch disk. Two of Four springs broke, gone, and pieces had got under clutch disk and it would not release.
Going back together today, new clutch kit, and going back with 3:67 Final drive and .071 assembly.
Case closed. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Wayne
"Start by checking the actuation finger behind the green end cap, check it for splits or cracks which will allow it to slip around the splined shaft of the release arm on the trans.
If that is OK, check the TO bearing, and pushrod, and if those are OK, pull the trans, as the problem is in the clutch parts. Broken PP finger, broken clutch disc spring, punctured release plate are all possible and would cause the clutch failure you are describing."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.