VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS the topic states. I need to know what cars and years came with close ratio transmission which will be compatible with a 1988 Jetta Carat. I believe this car currently have standard ratio tranny. Also is it a straight swap or is it going to be a massive undertaking.

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: Close ratio transmissions (watercooledvw)

here:
http://4crawler.cruiserpages.c...shtml
yes straight swap, assuming both transmission have 100mm or 90mm flanges. basically match the flanges to what you have and it's a striaght swap. having said that the flanges can also swap from tranny to tranny quite easily, with no more work than it takes to replace the flange seals, which i would do when installing the new transmission.
gti's, gli's, 16v's and later model digifants have close ratio. the digifant transmission is an AUG, however hte second gear in the AUG is not all the close of a ratio, the other gears are however. take your pic of what you want, remember the closer ratio's spin higher revs on the freeway, reducing your gas mileage and increasing your engine wear. also the close ratio's tend to of been driven harder, and have more syncro wear etc, however that is not ALWAYS the case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts