VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am close to pulling the trigger on 1 of 2 tdi jsw's. One, is s dsg with 33k on thr clock, sport springs, gti plaid seats, with 18in Detroit wheels. The other, pretty bone stock, manual with 47k on the clock. Price difference is a mere 2k, manual being the cheaper.

Those of you that are running sport springs in the winter, how bad is it?

One has some schnazz, the other has a manual and leather.

Life style is mixed with biking, traveling, dogs, kids...tbd?? Daily commute is 80 miles round trip, 10 of that being non traffic jam city driving.

One's set up, the other will take time convincing the wife.
Any input is welcome. :wave:

·
Registered
678 Posts
For the 2k difference there would be no reason not to get the first. Also you could probably weasel your way down to a 1500 difference.

Part of me wants you to get the first because as soon as I saw the description I knew EXACTLY the car you are looking at. I have been obsessively looking at sportwagens on ebay because I am getting the itch to buy one and trade the GLI. It's in michigan right?

http://www.pmc-detroit.com/detail-2011-volkswagen-jetta_sportwagen-4dr_dsg_tdi-used-11079178.html

Beautiful looking car and you can tell an enthusiast owned it. Just can't figure out why there's no engine cover.

Honestly buy that one and if you HAVE to get a set of stock springs for winter. Also because id love to watch your thread on that car.

As far as winters. It's low but not too low. Buy a good set of steelies and snow tires and that heigh won't run into any problems. It's not absurdly low.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sharp with the seats, but not nearly as dog/kid friendly for sure!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have an 09 TDI JSW with the DSG and I just switched back to stock springs after running H&R Sport Spring and 18" rims. IMHO, if you have a family and want to use your wagon AS A WAGON and actual haul anything Sport Springs aren't a great option. With the car completely unloaded, going over dips in the road at speed would cause the springs to fully compress and bottom out. With a Yakima pod on the roof, the black lab in back, son in his car seat, and my wife, the issue was even more pronounced and frequent. Our car on has about 47k on the clock and the shocks are in good shape. I asked around here for advice on ways to correct this in order to keep the Sport Spring and no one seemed to have any practical solutions or advice. The DSG however has been great...I used to drive only manual cars and the shifting is so smooth on the DSG that it won me over. Still plenty of power on tap with the TDI and MUCH more comfortable for commuting. If it was my choice, I'd opt for the DSG car and swap in stock springs down the road if you found the Sport springs to be a bother. If you have a shop do it, you could likely pick up stock springs for $150-200 and install for about the same. If you have the ability to install them yourself, even better.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have an 09 TDI JSW with the DSG and I just switched back to stock springs after running H&R Sport Spring and 18" rims. IMHO, if you have a family and want to use your wagon AS A WAGON and actual haul anything Sport Springs aren't a great option. With the car completely unloaded, going over dips in the road at speed would cause the springs to fully compress and bottom out. With a Yakima pod on the roof, the black lab in back, son in his car seat, and my wife, the issue was even more pronounced and frequent. Our car on has about 47k on the clock and the shocks are in good shape. I asked around here for advice on ways to correct this in order to keep the Sport Spring and no one seemed to have any practical solutions or advice. The DSG however has been great...I used to drive only manual cars and the shifting is so smooth on the DSG that it won me over. Still plenty of power on tap with the TDI and MUCH more comfortable for commuting. If it was my choice, I'd opt for the DSG car and swap in stock springs down the road if you found the Sport springs to be a bother. If you have a shop do it, you could likely pick up stock springs for $150-200 and install for about the same. If you have the ability to install them yourself, even better.
You might be better off with the stock OEM sport springs. I have it on my Jetta sedan and gives it a slight drop but still manageable over bumps, driveways and I have yet bottomed out hauling a full load of camping gear, passengers, and kayaks on the roof. However I had it on 17" wheels not 18's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, after driving 6 hrs round ttip tonight to look at the stockish one, the lexus dealership unwilling to budge,, damaged passenger door and rear driver quarter panel damage, and zero service records, I felt a bit uneasy. Not saying it was a bad car, just wasn't my car.

I thought about the oem sports, shouldn't be too difficult to find me a set in the near future. Excited:cool:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, after driving 6 hrs round ttip tonight to look at the stockish one, the lexus dealership unwilling to budge,, damaged passenger door and rear driver quarter panel damage, and zero service records, I felt a bit uneasy. Not saying it was a bad car, just wasn't my car.

I thought about the oem sports, shouldn't be too difficult to find me a set in the near future. Excited:cool:
Probably a good choice if after driving that far that you were willing to leave it behind. you'll find another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.