VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With autocross season in full this year, we've had some pretty tight races in my club (Madison Sports Car Club), it got me thinking back a couple of years to an event a buddy and I ran in Rantoul, IL. It was in November, we drove about 4 hours to get to the race from southern WI. The club we ran with seemed pretty tight-knit, we were definitely outsiders and didn't get much love or respect, and it didn't get better at the end of the day when trophies were awarded.
I took first in my class, beating a seasoned club member.
My best time:

His time was a 60.650. I couldn't believe it was that close!
Dude was piiiiiiiiiiiiissed.
:D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Also a couple of years ago, back in 2009 I won HS by 0.029 seconds one event. The very next event I won again, same person was 2nd, this time by 0.023 seconds. :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
i was quite pleased last year when my car was in the shop, i co drove with a friend in his miata and was only 0.05 behind him, thought that was pretty good for going from a FWD to a RWD

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
One local DC SCCA event last summer, I got beat for the win in my class by 0.011 seconds. It's hard to look at the video and try to find where you could have picked up two hundredths of a second.

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocr...pionshipEvent5Results/tabid/1669/Default.aspx

Street Touring S

Additional info: the driver who wound up third was actually leading going into last runs, but first got beat by her hubby/co-driver. She would have beat all of us but was +2 on her last run. I went out for my last run and timing hiccuped, so I got a rerun and on the rerun I passed her, but came up jut a hair short of going from 3rd to 1st.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In 2009, a friend and fellow co-autocrosser co-drove my '90 Miata, he aced me by .378.
Our typical cars are in different classes, so we never directly compete against each other, so it was neat to see how close we were as far as drivers.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Ah... didn't remember her running back in 2009...

H-Stock was a fun class in our region back then before Nick and Ryan got all serious about it... :p

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Take a look at the solo nationals results from last year for STR. 1st and 2nd were separated by .002 and third a whole .010 back. And that's over two days. STR is a beast of a class

·
Registered
930 Posts
STR definitely looks like a fun class. Were I in a position to replace my TDI with a new daily driver, I'd seriously look at an S52 M Roadster - specifically with an eye towards prepping it for STR. The Philly region has a couple of good cars/drivers and the class looks stable for the foreseeable future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts