VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have heard a lot about the transmission problems with this car, let me know if any of you are experiencing the below.
1) I will be costing along and then will hit the gas to go. When I do, a slight cluck happens before it goes. It does not happen every time, but it is quite annoying, and can't be good. It sounds like the transmission disengaged and then reengaged while everything else is moving, if that makes any since. And by no means am I pushing the accelerator hard, I can just lightly press it and the above happens.
2) I will have steady pressure on the accelerator, say going up a hill etc, and then will go to let off the gas. I then here a slight noise that sounds like air being released (sounds similar to the gas suspension when you go over a speed bump). Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the pedal and sometimes from the engine. I can't figure it out. It could be the turbo, but it even happens at low RPM's.
I will take it into the dealer, but I hate taking these occasional problems into dealers. They never seem to fix them.
Even with the little problems I still love the car. What is it about us VW guys?

Thanks!

· Registered
7,158 Posts
1) i been hearing about loose sub frame bolts? maybe that. i dont know..
2) i have no idea, but they can check the boost at the dealership.
keep us updated.
JT

· Registered
146 Posts
Re: Clunk in when accelarating and whine when letting off the gas 2.0T (turbo63)

Your clunk sounds like the problem I had. Some of the sub frame bolts were loose. These are stretch bolts and have to be replaced not tightened. I will hopefully be getting my car back this week hopefully without the clunking.

· Registered
98 Posts
Re: Clunk in when accelarating and whine when letting off the gas 2.0T (turbo63)

This problem seems to be a normal issue on the 2.0 and is not the first time it has come up. I don't think that there is anything wrong, but I agree that you should take it to the dealer and see whats going on, it may be a deal with the engine mount or something.

· Registered
2,717 Posts

Quote, originally posted by turbo63 »
Ok, I have heard a lot about the transmission problems with this car, let me know if any of you are experiencing the below.
1) I will be costing along and then will hit the gas to go. When I do, a slight cluck happens before it goes. It does not happen every time, but it is quite annoying, and can't be good. It sounds like the transmission disengaged and then reengaged while everything else is moving, if that makes any since. And by no means am I pushing the accelerator hard, I can just lightly press it and the above happens.
2) I will have steady pressure on the accelerator, say going up a hill etc, and then will go to let off the gas. I then here a slight noise that sounds like air being released (sounds similar to the gas suspension when you go over a speed bump). Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the pedal and sometimes from the engine. I can't figure it out. It could be the turbo, but it even happens at low RPM's.
I will take it into the dealer, but I hate taking these occasional problems into dealers. They never seem to fix them.
Even with the little problems I still love the car. What is it about us VW guys?

Thanks!

Answers:
1) that has occured to me, more than likely not torqued subframe bolts
2) are you friggin serious? IT IS THE TURBO'S DIVERTER VALVE LETTING OFF EXCESS PRESSURE! EVERY FACTORY TURBO CAR MAKES THAT NOISE! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT OR IT ANNOYS YOU HURRY AND TRADE IT IN FOR A POS NON TURBO CAR LIKE AN ACCORD.
Have a great day. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2019 Audi A4 Daytona Grey with sport and black optic packages. 2019 GTi SE White Silver DSG.
941 Posts

My 3.6 behaves in a similar manner. I have not had my subframe bolts checked but I did have another person rock the car from drive to reverse while I watched and listened to the engine with the hood up. There is a lot of engine movement but no clunks or evidence of something loose. IMO the driveline in the B6 (or at least mine and a few others) are very loose meaning there is a lot of lash or slop. I notice it most in the 30 to 50 mph range in "Drive" when I use very light throttle to change from coasting to light acceleration. There is a clunk and a general sloppiness that I would associate with an AWD driveline with 100K miles or more. Not something I'm happy about but not addressed with the dealer as of this writing although I plan to do so.

· Registered
146 Posts

I got my car back and with the new sub frame bolts the clunking noise is now gone. I would have the dealer check the bolts on your car.

· Registered
18 Posts

I was having the same issue with my 2.0t and presented the tech with it possibly being loose sub frame bolts. They examined the car and ended up replacing an axel. Clunk in no longer present.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Clunk in when accelarating and whine when letting off the gas 2.0T (c34webb)

Thanks I'll take it in next week. And Rhein, this whine I get I think is more than the gas coming off the turbo. I have had a 1.8t for 4 years and have had this for 8K miles and it just started, so unless my hearing got better it is a new problem. Heck, my wife even just started noticing it.

· Registered
193 Posts

....does the whining sound go up and down (almost like a police siren in the distance)?
My car was doing this for a couple of weeks, really annoying.

The dealer told me initially it was "normal turbo spool"..........by turbo was replaced this Wednesday !!

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Clunk in when accelarating and whine when letting off the gas 2.0T (VW Demon)

Well I took it to the dealer. Of course they could not find any problems. The whine did go away for a little while but now it is starting to come back. (don't know why, maybe they reset somthing)
The clunk is still there however.
Plus will they ever be able to fix the darn FM radio?

· Registered
2,717 Posts

Quote, originally posted by turbo63 »
Thanks I'll take it in next week. And Rhein, this whine I get I think is more than the gas coming off the turbo. I have had a 1.8t for 4 years and have had this for 8K miles and it just started, so unless my hearing got better it is a new problem. Heck, my wife even just started noticing it.

My humble apologies.

· Registered
91 Posts

by clunk do you mean a sound or a feeling?
My 3.6 will "clunk", but it's a clunking feeling, not a sound... and usually happens when coasting on 2nd or 3rd, then accelerating. If I'm coasting on 2nd or 3rd and want to accelerate, I have to accelerate really, really gently/gradually to avoid this.
anyone out there know if new subframe bolts would solve this?

Modified by bruin923 at 9:59 AM 9-9-2006

Modified by bruin923 at 2:50 PM 9-9-2006

· Registered
2019 Audi A4 Daytona Grey with sport and black optic packages. 2019 GTi SE White Silver DSG.
941 Posts
Re: Clunk in when accelarating and whine when letting off the gas 2.0T (bruin923)

Quote, originally posted by bruin923 »
by clunk do you mean a sound or a feeling?
My 3.6 will "clunks", but it's a clunking feeling, not a sound... and usually happens when coasting on 2nd or 3rd, then accelerating. If I'm coasting on 2nd or 3rd and want to accelerate, I have to accelerate really, really gently/gradually to avoid this.
anyone out there know if new subframe bolts would solve this?

Modified by bruin923 at 9:59 AM 9-9-2006

Mine does the same thing. I have not had the sub-frame bolts checked but plan to next service visit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.