VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to change out the instrument cluster in my 2010 2.5L Golf. The warning LEDs on the old one were dead when I bought it and there appeared to be a small amount of oxidation on the PCB when I opened it up to check it out (The LCD and all the gauges work perfectly). I found a matching part on eBay but was obviously unable to immediately plug and play due to the immobilizer in the cluster. Is there anyway to transfer this information and the milage etc. to the "new" cluster without having to go to the dealership? Immobilizer 4 appears to be very difficult for DIY work and I haven't been able to find any information to help as of yet...
The only resolution I can come up with is to swap over the eeprom and immobilizer chips from the old board to the new one, but even then I have no clue if that would work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So basically what I found in my research is that the cluster is protected by immo 4 and so all of the immobilizer information is encrypted and seemingly impossible to decrypt manually because of the way that VW generate and distribute the decryption keys and the hardware they use to do this.

The easiest way is to literally have a new cluster coded by either a VW dealership or a third party (instrumentclusterstore.com), I think they charge about $300 for Golf Mk 6, the dealership is $400-500.

I read about people that attempted to have old used clusters reprogrammed but that the technicians at the dealerships weren't even able to reprogram them properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, helpful! But also sad.

You happen to know which chips hold the immobilizer data on the pcb? I'm thinking about swapping them on to a new cluster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found which one was the immobilizer chip itself (It's an 8 pin in the upper right corner if I remember correctly, you can Google the numbers engraved on them to double check) but I wasn't sure if the CPU needed to be swapped over too, for that plan to even work because the milage data and everything has to match for the immobilizer not to activate everytime you start the car.

I had trouble just trying to get the chips off myself as well so I gave up to save the aggravation and avoid damaging the information stored inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts