VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to this form. I bought a 2004 vw jetta 1.8t. At 360,000km. I'm so impressed with this car that I'd like to keep it going. I have replaced many parts that were faulty. And now I'm almost at 400,000km with everything original.

About a month ago my clutch went it's hard to put it in gear so I push it in the driveway. Whatever broke, broke right in front of my house so I did not drive it or mess with it. I put it in the driveway and decided to fix it myself.
I have no idea what to do at this point when it comes to figuring out which parts to get or tools. I feel like maybe at such high km it may need clutch and flywheel, maybe more things to get as a package to save money.

I'm hoping to fix this with a good budget and keep it as my daily.
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Plant

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm going to say either slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder. At that mileage, it seems pretty okay for those parts to be failing though. New clutch, slave cylinder, and clutch master cylinder should get you back on the road and in good shape. If something like that fails, I always recommend replacing everything in the system to help prevent future failures. You can get full clutch kits with everything needed transmission side for in the $500 range if you're looking to go with O.E. parts. I would replace the dual mass flywheel, at 250k miles I wouldn't doubt that it's nearing end of its life. Valeo has a single mass flywheel kit that's within factory specs and should be right around $500 usd, only thing after that to replace is the clutch master cylinder which if I remember correctly varies significantly in price depending on where you buy it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for you help. It's gonna be a fun install ones i study what your talking about.
Yes with almost 400km I'm for sure needing to replace so many parts.
I'm also gonna fix the ac, power steerin line(very small leak that just started).
Keep it nice and clean

·
Registered
179 Posts
Gotta love hydraulic systems. After you fix the line just make sure to bleed the system. There are tutorials on YouTube regarding it. I just fixed my AC not too long ago. It's normally in the 80-85°F range with 70+% humidity where I am so AC is a must have

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's about how it was for me. Mine was odd though, I checked the fuses and they were all good, thought it was the AC clutch but had to do other work which involved removing the pump anyway. Never changed the pump or anything, refilled the system and kicked it up to try it again and it blew the fuse. Still have no idea what caused it initially, but it works now and works extremely well

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Lots of parts websites offer whole 'clutch kits' with all parts included (Disc/pressure plate/flywheel/throwout bearing/flywheel bolts etc.)
I bought a kit package from 4SeasonTuning a few years ago with very good results.

·
Registered
01 Golf, and Jetta, Both 2.0aeg 5 speed, also a 99 beetle about to be for sale
250 Posts
I have a couple of cheap clutches on my cars. They both seem to be holding up well. Talking less than $150 for the kits.

To bleed the clutch. Take a short piece of hose from the slave directly into the reservoir. Pump the clutch till the air is all out and you might not loose a drop. To drain you can take the same hose and drop it out the bottom into a bottle or something. Pump the clutch pedal to pump it out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm grateful for all the help!

I'm working on buying a low km transmission. I found 2. Still looking to be sure

One is $500, the other $350 or best offer.
The one that is $500 160km, $350 80km.
How am I to know if the 80k is authentic?

I'm in no rush. I can use the wife's car, and brother's bmw.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There's really no way of telling unless you can see the odometer of the car it came out of. $500 for a transmission that's under 100k miles is a decent deal. As long as it doesn't leak or have damage to the case I think you'll be in good shape

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
If its only a clutch issue, I don't know that I would be buying a new transmission. We had a mk4 TDI with a dead auto at 114k, and we swapped in a manual trans with 100k more miles. Sold the car and the trans had 280k on it with no real issues. The manuals hold up well. I would just get a clutch kit and maybe get a shifter bushing kit as well.

Also, you'll want another TDI trans. The 1.8T has different gearing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If its only a clutch issue, I don't know that I would be buying a new transmission. We had a mk4 TDI with a dead auto at 114k, and we swapped in a manual trans with 100k more miles. Sold the car and the trans had 280k on it with no real issues. The manuals hold up well. I would just get a clutch kit and maybe get a shifter bushing kit as well.

Also, you'll want another TDI trans. The 1.8T has different gearing.
Read original post

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
In what way? Hard to get into gear? Grinding? Could all just be shifter related vs. the transmission. At that mileage, the shifter bushings I'm sure are worn out.

Also, whoops. Not sure why I thought TDI. I'm in too many threads these days lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I turn on the car, it gets stuck in gear and there's very little to no movement in the shifter. And the car thinks it's in gear and slightly moves.
When key off, shifter starts to open up to normal. Only off

1 - 20 of 173 Posts